Monday, April 09, 2012

Winning Words 4/9/12
“Is it worthy?” (My mother-in-law) I had picked out a different quote for today, but on 2nd thought, it wasn’t worthy. My wife’s mother was a choir director and was careful in choosing anthems. They had to be “worthy” to be sung in church. In this world it seems that “anything goes” is the accepted standard. In a choice between Good, Better, Best and Worst, let’s strive this week to make worthy choices. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Thanks for that worthy quote. Your mother-in-law had it right. There is so much in the world of music, literature, theater, design, and the world in general that begs justification of its worthiness or merit. The Lord's Prayer includes an apt invocation about it..."deliver us from evil."////FROM JACK: We all need reminders to keep us from doing or saying something "stupid." Normally, I don't use the word, stupid, but it seems to fit in this case.////MORE FROM BOSTON: Haven't I read a passage in the Bible somewhere, telling us to never say anyone is "stupid"? (I've not taken the time to go back and look for it.)////FROM JACK: Perhaps you are thinking of the words of Jesus: “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire." But the Book of Proverbs (12:1) has this verse: "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.”

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Jack….perfect quote for today! Time is so precious. More and more I find myself evaluating what is the best use of my time. Also, in my writing, I believe the editing process is so important…I weed out the words that are not worthy…..less is more when it comes to words.////FROM JACK: Those of us who are in the "word" business can understand the difference between worthy and unworthy. The problem is one one of putting it into practice. BTW, I guess we're all in the "word" business in one way or another. ////MORE FROM JE: We are all in the “word” business in one way or another. That’s why my mom’s gold rule: “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” is important. It’s easier to repeat than to follow.
Thank you for making me think about these things.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Funny you should pick that word for today. We sang the anthem "Worthy is the Lamb" complete with trumpets and organ at 4 services yesterday--and it was very Worthy!////FROM JACK: That's one of my worthy Handel favorites....deeply moving.////GUSTIE RESPONSE: The more I thought about it--we did not do the Handel version--it was a rip roaring one complete with Timpani and brass and I believe it was by Alan Pote. I will look it up.

FROM NO IN MICHIGAN: I agree with your wife’s mother! I love today’s message. I also wanted to invite you to our annual Music Sunday (May 20) this year. I keep thinking about you when making preparations for one of our special selections that day: A Place in the Choir. It was the music video that you sent me recently that inspired me to use this song on Music Sunday. Our version will be a whole lot of fun. We will have about ten singers ranging from ages 6 to 60! Of course, the entire service will be made up of special music including instrumentalists (also ranging from ages 6 to 60), Sunday School Chorus and Bell Choir, and Adult Choir. I’ve been working on it for weeks already and we are all looking forward to it.////FROM JACK: For what it's worth....You are a worthy successor to your mother who was an outstanding organist, choir director and "picker outer" of church music.

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: God gave us the brain to think what a meaning of a word is, the eye lids to not see, the lips to not speak and hands to cover the ears to not hear anothers' judgement of what worthyness means. How about this statement being worthy of a normal person?////FROM JACK: Only God is omniscient. Our own judgments are subject to his "override," or "affirmation." How's that for a brainy response?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: A worthy mantra.////FROM JACK: I seem to remember something similar that you sent..."Would you put it in your sample case?"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The word worthy is a mighty strong word. You can be a lot of things in life, but being labeled worthy is something. Now-a-days, the "anything goes" syndrome has brought morals down to an "unworthy level". We must remain worthy!////FROM JACK: Worthy is a humbling word, too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I wonder how many mothers-in-law would be quoted respectfully by their sons-in-law?! :-) Endearing! I hope my daughters-in-law might do the same, when all is said and done!
You changed you WW: I just read a "worthy" quote on that: "If you don't like something, change it. It you can't change it, change the way you think about it." Seems a worthy thought...////FROM JACK: Nobody asked what quote it was that I "dumped," thinking that it was unworthy. I'm glad for that.

FROM WATERFORD ANNE: Good idea. In my reading of Psalm 131 one asks if what we have done is worthwhile.////FROM JACK: I looked it up. You're right!

FROM RB IN MICHIGAN: 2 Thess. 1:11 was also on my daily calendar! Very inspirational.////FROM JACK: God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? "With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith." (2 Thessalonians 1:11)

FROM INDY GENIE: Sounds good...I'm in!FROM INDY GENIE: Sounds good...I'm in!////FROM JACK: That sounds good. No, that's the best. BTW, the Easter Bunny again found the Lillstrom basket with the wilted purple ribbon and left it for me...filled with candy.






No comments: