Thursday, April 05, 2012

Winning Words 4/5/12
“You look forward to it like a birthday party when you’re a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.” (Joe DiMaggio) It’s like a birthday party in Detroit today, because the Tigers open the baseball season. One of my church members used to close down his office and take all of the employees to opening day. He invited me, too. That was fun. Did you ever get to go to a home opener? ;-) Jack

FROM MY ATTORNEY: I have been to quite a few, including one when the weather was so cold (in the 30's) I left after the second inning --- as did most of the fans. Today should be great. And, this year's Tigers have a lot of promise and high expectations. I'll be watching it on TV, with a bowl of popcorn!////FROM JACK: Daughter Jeanne will be at the game, while we'll be in front of the TV. Ball Park hot dogs and Stadium brats will be on the grill outside. We also have a supply of peanuts and Cracker Jack, but no popcorn.

FROM DR. J: Are you going to opening day?////FROM JACK: I shoulda gone to "Opening Day" yesterday in Toledo when Paws, Muddy and Muddonna were in the same park. Today's opener will be in front of the TV.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Never had that opportunity. I have some friends who never miss it though. ////FROM JACK: It's fun. The game is incidental. I always buy peanuts from the Methodists at the corner of Elizabeth and Witherell.

FROM TRIHARDER: Inevitably, there will be a movie on tv today, probably Turner Movie Channel, "It Happens Every Spring". Loved that movie. But, it was replaced by Field of Dreams. Lots of great baseball movies will be on tv today and tomorrow.////FROM JACK: I have a "Is this Heaven?" mug by my computer. Other baseball movies that I like are "The Natural" "The Rookie" "Bull Durham" and "A League of Their Own."

FROM HY YO SILVER: Yes sir! Day off for me today of course. I'm heading downtown now. ////FROM JACK: Who's your Tiger?

FROM FLOWER POWER: Yes, there is new grass on the field and with it all the hopes of spring and for a new season. It is as if we get a clean slate everyone has a new chance to start with the hope that the new season brings. One or two good hits and you’re batting average looks pretty good. From my early twenties on I have missed about ten opening days and those were when my kids were younger. However when I started taking them out of school for Opening Day I became very popular with their friends. My kids would ask me “what did you tell the school” thinking I had spin a lie to cover our tracks. But when I said “I told them the truth” they had a hard time believing me. Yet I never had a teacher or school administrator give me a hard time when I said “I am taking them to a ball game.”////FROM JACK: They could form a quartet and sing: "Take us out to the ball game...buy us some peanuts and Cracker Jack. We don't care if we ever get back."

FROM COACH CC: Yep! It is the year of the "Tiger." Having grown up in a small mining town that of a St. Louis Farm Club and starting point of Stan Musial's pro career, I have two teams to follow. The last time the two played in the series, the Tigers were the best team, but lost. Last year the Rangers were the best team and lost. This year I think the Tigers are special and, if they play the Cardinals - the best team will win. One depressing day in 1982 in Coldwater, MI, I was walking off the field after a two strike, no balls, two out home run had just beaten us, after we had score 6 runs in the top of the inning and a 90 year fan sitting on a box called me over and said, "coach the best team doesn't always win."////FROM JACK: I remember that Stan the Man was from Donora and started out as a pitcher. I've always been impressed that the MLB logo features his image....I, too, have had those experiences where the "best" team hasn't won. But, it's just a game!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: No, but Rick and I are planning to go the Tigers/Twins game on May 17th! ////FROM JACK: There will be "an angel in the outfield" cheering for her Twins. There's nothing like baseball!

FROM HS IN ILLINOIS: your blog today revives a precious memory for me. In 1956 the old Illinois Conference met in Detroit for the annual convention. As I was walking into the church Walt Tillberg grabbed me and said, "Skillrud, come with me." When I asked where we were going he replied that I would see in time. Would you believe we ended up at Tigers Stadium and watched the ball game. He said that I would have plenty of time to go to church conventions and that one should take time out once in a while for a ball game. What a character he was!////FROM JACK: As you know, Tillberg was my pastor, and he once took me to Chicago and I saw my first major league ballgame as his guest. We were both Cubs fans. His ministry inspired me to become a pastor. We were once walking along, and he farted. Up until that time, I never knew that ministers did that sort of thing.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Not that I remember, but we have had fun going to the spring training games here in Tampa. Clearwater, Dunedin, and Sarasota. By the way, the Frozen Four is in Tampa this weekend beginning tonight with one team from Michigan, which the computer says is from Big Rapids.////FROM JACK: The Tigers do their training in Lakeland, as you probably know. BTW, Big Rapids is a small town north of Grand Rapids. Ferris is one of Michigan's state universities, and the students are excited that their team is one of the Four!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: The Cubbies open today, too, against Washington, in Chicago! Whoo, Whoo!! Hoping our new Pres. of Baseball operations, Theo Epstein, will make the difference as he did for the Boston Red Sox: 103 years and counting...:-) I've never attended a baseball opening day... Maybe I should put that on my bucket list! I'm sure it is a Festive Occasion, filled with hope and hilarity! Glad you could have that experience! Easter Sunday is also "on deck" this week, with its festive celebration of hope with family and friends. Thankful that God is in the resurrection business!!////FROM JACK: With regard to baseball and Easter, former ballplayer, Wes Westrum said: "Baseball is like church. Many attend, but few understand."

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: i have never been to an opener but i was at the last game the MN Twins played in their old, Bloomington, MN, outdoor stadium before they moved indoors to the Metro Dome.////FROM JACK: I thought that the Dome was originally named for Hubert Humphrey. When did they start calling it the Metro Dome...and why?


No comments: