Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Winning Words 4/24/12
“Imagination is more important that knowledge.” (Sign hanging in Einstein’s office) I once read of a company that posted a sign by every employee’s work station. It read, “What if…?” I have those words posted by my computer. Imagine: What if…you could change one thing in history? What if…you could ask God one question? What if…you could have great wisdom or great wealth? Imagination changes things. ;-) Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN: I have trouble with the term "more" ...imagination & knowledge are both important.////FROM JACK: Evidently Albert didn't have that trouble. Kierkegaard wrote his famous book, "Either/Or." You should write one titled, "Both/And."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We also felt it was very important to help our children and grandchildren grow and develop and wonderful imagination. It was so fun to have imaginary friends and games and cookies., etc etc etc. Kimberly's imaginary friend's name was Annie. One day, Gary's friend brought his wife over. Her name was Annie. Annie and Frank were moving to Florida. Kimberly was about 4. When Annie and Frank left that evening, so did Annie...Kimberly's imaginary friend. When I asked her why she didn't talk about Annie anymore, Kimberly said..."She moved to Florida". Andy's friend's name was Brian. But he had a fireman doll who was Brian. I wrote down many a imaginary story while they dictated it to me. What fun!!!////FROM JACK: I like the way that Peter, Paul and Mary tell the story of little Jackie's imaginary friend, Puff the Magic Dragon.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: What if....you could ask anyone one question? With so many pastors supplying at our church and so much change where us lay people are trying to "step up to the plate", worship, Bible study, prayer evening, helping people get their physical needs met, i.e., food pantry and giving them Meijers cards, I've been trying to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of our ministries. Imagining that our work is trying to impart knowledge or material things upon people, to me, is of lesser usefulness than imaginatively seeking to help people see that God's image is already on their hearts and we're with them while they uncover their faith. Imagination does change things in a way that knowledge cannot touch. My opinion.////FROM JACK: I was at a service Sunday afternoon where 9 laypeople were consecrated as Deacons to assist in carrying out the ministry of the Church, either as assistants to pastors or to give service to congregations without a pastor.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I suppose half the pleasure from what we consider a good life comes from our "dreams"...all those things we imagine we'll do, even if we never follow through and achieve them. Your question about "what if" takes me back to pre-teens when some of my friends and I would imagine, "what if you had just one wish for anything, what would you wish for?" My choice was wishing that any wish I wished would come true. Talk about greedy!////FROM JACK: I wished for the same thing, but like a lot of wishes, it didn't come true. But when I grew older and wiser, I learned how wishes could become reality.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: "Thanks to imagination, we don't have to be who we were, or do exactly what we did yesterday. We can change ourselves, and, this, the future." Edward Grinnen. At first glance Einstein's quote seems far-out, but how would anything come to fruition, if it was not first imagined? It sure served Ms. Rowling, of Harry Potter fame, well! Creative people in any field of endeavor must first begin with imagination, right? What if... Good question!////FROM JACK: Sermons, teaching plans, business plans and parenting all begin with imagination. BTW, I like the Beatles' song, "Imagine."

FROM JACK: My son sent me this link which seems to relate to today's Winning Words.
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-caines-arcade-video-cardboard-arcade-20120411%2C0%2C7270609.story

FROM DR J IN OHIO: always have liked this quote... I think I'll put a WHAT IF sign next to my computer too! and maybe another that says WHY NOT?////FROM JACK: I also have this sign: "Get Tough...Get off your Duff!"

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: J Lennon said it beautifully.////FROM JACK: I imagine that he did.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: almost everyday i ask the children to ponder... love the word ponder. it meshes the cognitive with the imaginative realm. so many ingenious...genius insights are shared. i know where the next great minds are. i'm surrounded by them. imagination is the springboard of the future!////FROM JACK: It might be interesting to ask the children some "What if..." questions and see where those minds go with the situations. Or have them ask you some "What if..." situations.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What if....you could ask anyone one question? With so many pastors supplying at our church and so much change where us lay people are trying to "step up to the plate", worship, Bible study, prayer evening, helping people get their physical needs met, i.e., food pantry and giving them Meijers cards, I've been trying to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of our ministries. Imagining that our work is trying to impart knowledge or material things upon people, to me, is of lesser usefulness than imaginatively seeking to help people see that God's image is already on their hearts and we're with them while they uncover their faith. Imagination does change things in a way that knowledge cannot touch. My opinion.
S.H. in MI