Friday, April 20, 2012

Winning Words 4/20/12
“A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a superstition.” (Jose Bergamin) I met someone new this week…Jose Bergamin. He was a 19th century Spanish essayist who spent a lifetime trying to reconcile religion and politics. Today’s quote is an example of his thinking. Sparky Anderson never stepped on the 3rd base chalkline. Do you have any superstitions, religious or otherwise? ;-) Jack

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: I think this is better described as a "fantasy" rather than a superstition. The fantasy is that one knows the Truth in its completeness. The superstition is the behavioral enactment of the fantasy. It is right to say that the more I know the more I learn of how much more I don't know. Hence, we do need to seek and find so that we don't get caught up in what we think "we know". ////FROM JACK: I wonder how Jose would respond to that, if he were living. I think that there is wide divide between fantasy and superstition, but what do I know?

FROM HONEST JOHN: Celms said to "Ask questions about questions."////FROM JACK: Some people become frustrated when I do that...when they are looking for "answers."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I have no superstitions. I'm not sure he is correct about a belief which leaves no place for doubt though. There is no doubt in my mind of my belief in God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.////FROM JACK: Mark 9:24 has always been a verse that has intrigued me. "I believe. Help my unbelief." It sort of relates to belief/doubt in today's quote.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: In past years they might have been-don't walk under a ladder, don't put your hat on the bed, and be careful on Friday the thirteenth. But after so many years you learn to just enjoy each day and to get on with life.////FROM JACK: Did anything bad happen to you a week ago?

FROM MY ATTORNEY: I shutter when someone opens an umbrella indoors. Acquired from my mother, of blessed memory!!!///FROM JACK: I've read that some Jewish people have a custom of spitting 3 times when they hear something exceptionally bad or good. Have you ever done that?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I'm not the least but superstitious. (OOPS, I just said "not". Now what's going to happen?) ////FROM JACK: People knock wood three times to ward off punishment. It is said that evil spirits are afraid of the sound of three knocks on wood.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: i get superstitious around people who are superstitious...////FROM JACK: If you think it's bad luck to be around superstitious people, here's what I read that you should do..."If you are a Christian you should get some symbol that makes you feel secure, like your holy cross or rosary."


1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I think this is better described as a "fantasy" rather than a superstition. The fantasy is that one knows the Truth in its completeness. The superstition is the behavioral enactment of the fantasy. It is right to say that the more I know the more I learn of how much more I don't know. Hence, we do need to seek and find so that we don't get caught up in what we think "we know".