Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Winning Words 4/18/12
“God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.” (Saint Augustine) In the 1960s The Smothers Brothers were a popular music/comedy duo. Tommy would often say to Dick, “Mom always liked you best.” Most parents try to be fair is showing love to their children. There are exceptions, but there is no exception when it comes to God. “Grace” (undeserved love) means that love is not based on favoritism. ;-) Jack

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: Thank God, because I could possibly be his favorite 90% of the time, but the other 10%?....uh oh! You will continue our winning words forever, won’t you? It always starts my day off with a smile. ////FROM JACK: I'm reminded of the Jimmy Durante song, "You gotta start off each day with a song...Now isn't it better to go through life with a smile and a song Than walking around with a face 11 miles long?" Smile at someone today, even if it's yourself.

FROM MY FLORIST: I have always loved St. Augustine he really seemed to help make the transition to God being within the reach of every man.////FROM JACK: Maybe it's more than you wanted to know...The Spanish explorer Menendez first sighted land in the "new world" on 8/28/1565 and called the place, St. Augustine, because it was the feast day of St. Augustine. It's considered to be the first European settlement in the United States.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It is truly Grace to have God love us so much. We have much for which to be thankful! I am so glad we aren't judged by human standards but by God's Grace.////FROM JACK: Here's something for you to think about today. "Is God's judgment fair?"

FROM SAINT JAMES: Isn't that awesome? What a God we serve!////FROM JACK: I like the word, awe. It causes me to picture myself standing there with my mouth wide open. That's how I feel, having been given the opportunity to be a servant of God.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: If you can believe this, I have difficulty buying in to what I am told about Grace. I think Grace is actually an example of God's favor upon each of us. When God looks upon one with favor, Grace abounds. It seems evident also that the variety of God's favor upon different people is notable throughout the bible, as well as today. One might even suggest that (sometimes) they, as obeying servants of God, actually deserved such favor, i.e., Abraham, Moses, Mary, John, etc.. Now Mercy, that's another thing. I think that is certainly undeserved. I thank God for both!!!!////FROM JACK: Grace is a hard concept for this world to comprehend. It doesn't seem fair...to get something that we don't deserve. The teachings of Jesus are hard for many to comprehend, because they go against so many of our instincts. That's why God is God.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Thanks to Saint Augustine and now you for reminding us of this. It gives me pleasure as much of the time as I can, and all of the time as God makes it possible for me, to believe this for myself and I struggle some of the time to remember and constantly have to incline my ear all the time to God to faithfully believe this for everybody else--including some very unlikely people as myself. ////FROM JACK: Martin Luther had the same feelings, so you're in good company.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Ooohhh! That is so beautiful! I love that! Thanks for sharing.////FROM JACK: "Jesus loves me. this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: The term grace is an interesting one. I always think of grace as something that we receive when receiving the sacraments. At least, it helps tremendously. As a parent and a grandparent and as an only child, I feel very strongly about being fair and not having any favorites. Life is very interesting these days preparing for a wedding, a First Communion, and a Confirmation. That is what is keeping me busy these days with the 18 grandchildren. ////FROM JACK: You have received grace upon grace upon grace etc. by way of your children and grandchildren. See John 1:16.







2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

If you can believe this, I have difficulty buying in to what I am told about Grace. I think Grace is actually an example of God's favor upon each of us. When God looks upon one with favor, Grace abounds. It seems evident also that the variety of God's favor upon different people is notable throughout the bible, as well as today. One might even suggest that (sometimes) they, as obeying servants of God, actually deserved such favor, i.e., Abraham, Moses, Mary, John, etc.. Now Mercy, that's another thing. I think that is certainly undeserved. I thank God for both!!!!f

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Saint Augustine and now you for reminding us of this. It gives me pleasure as much of the time as I can, and all of the time as God makes it possible for me, to believe this for myself and I struggle some of the time to remember and constantly have to incline my ear all the time to God to faithfully believe this for everybody else--including some very unlikely people as myself.
S.H. in MI