Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Winning Words 4/17/12
“Shake it off, and get back in there.” (Mike Wallace) M.W., who died last week, was once interviewing Sen, Max Cleland, a multiple amputee, and they began to talk about being depressed and how to deal with it. Mike told of his own battle with depression. “I try to shake it off and get back in there.” I’m reminded of the song: “When my chin is on the ground, I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.” ;-) Jack

FROM SAINT JAMES: Is that from the song "That's Life"? I think the lyrics go like this...
"Each time I find myself
Flat on my face,
I pick myself up and get
Back in the race!"
Sound familiar?////FROM JACK: The line I quoted is from the song, "Pick Yourself Up." It's interesting that Frank Sinatra recorded both songs--different, but with the same message--Shake it off, and get back in there.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: And still another Sinatra hit. along the same idea.////FROM JACK: Yes, this is one of my favorites, too.

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're getting' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop

Oops there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Kerplop!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's a great idea but a lot harder than it sounds.////FROM JACK: What I like about the quote is that it's from someone who's "been there and done that," and who's discussing it with someone who's "been there and done that." I think that we can learn from them.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Mike Wallace was a personal favorite. I love guts! His son, Chris (Fox News anchor), interviewed him. It aired Sunday -- he was a loving & jovial father. Didn't know he lost his 38-yr-old son... ////FROM JACK: Sunday's 60 Minutes special showed an interview with Mike and his grandson. "I regret that I didn't spend more time with my family. My job came first."

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: 'hell' what choice do you have...you can walk through life with shoulders drooped and eyes staring at the ground or you can, as the old song goes..."if you're walkin' through Hell just keep on 'goin and the Devil will never know you're there." Cheers////FROM JACK: People who've really been depressed are entitled to say that it's "hell." M.W. knew what he was talking about.////MORE FROM B'MORE: I agree totally ....... and "hell" has lots of cubicles of which one is certainly depression, other physical and mental abhorrent situations have rooms as well.......cheers.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: The 60 Minutes special on Mike Wallace was impressive. I hadn't known he suffered from depression. He credits his wife with helping the most to shake it off and get back up again. (I liked that!) The songs on your blog are great as to this message! Music is such an inspiration..even the pop songs! Like "You gotta accent-uate the positive, Elim-inate the negative, Latch-on to the affirmative, and don''t mess with Mr.In-between! You gotta spread JOY out to the max-i-mum, Bring gloom down to the min-i-mum....Ha! Put on a happy face!////FROM JACK: I liked the part where it said that he was a graduate of the Univ of Michigan and that there is a Wallace House on campus for journalists to gather.


No comments: