Thursday, April 12, 2012

Winning Words 4/12/12
“Fool’s names, like their faces, are always seen in public places.” (Old Proverb) On a page of my “Believe It or Not” calendar I read that the famous Brown University was named for Nicholas Brown, because be paid $5000 to have the school named after him. He was the highest bidder. I was intrigued to read further about him and his generosity. His funeral eulogy read: “He was compassionate and a faithful friend.” ;-) Jack

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Jack, is this anything like the bible verse about the Pharisees only praying in the temple and street corners. It says that when you fast, put on your good clothes, go about your daily routine and pray to your Lord on your knees behind a closed door. In my job I do my best behind the scenes trying to make others look good. It has always seemed odd to me, those that want to have their name on something that is not really theirs.....I guess money can buy just about anything....but not respect or love. Have you heard the story about the dash....the little line in between the year you were born and the year you die? Here's a link to it. http://lindaellis.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/the-dash.html Thanks for starting my day with this thoughtful reflection.////FROM JACK: In Martin Luther's explanation of the commandment, "You shall not bear false witness," he writes that we are to explain our neighbor's actions in the kindest way." Those commandments are sometimes tough to follow.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: I find your quote and comments today intriguing on several levels....I look forward to your winning words every morning. I'll also be "googling" Nicholas Brown as I know nothing of him and that is where Kyle is pursuing his PhD in Physics-"God wink" that you chose this topic today....////FROM JACK: I'm always intrigued by messages within the message...a "God-wink." My first impression about N.B. was a negative one, and then I read "the rest of the story."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: We have an amphitheater on the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa where all of the big name entertainers perform. It used to be the Ford Amphitheater, but the new name is 1-800-Ask Gary Amphitheater.That is a mouthful to say. Money determined that, too. Also our hockey arena which used to be the Ice Palace was changed to the St. Pete Times Forum because they were the high bidders. The problem was that it is in the middle of downtown Tampa and many people would go to St. Pete looking for it. The St. Pete Times, after more than 100 years , changed its name to the Tampa Bay Times which makes it a lot easier to find. It is definitely all about money.////FROM JACK: Tropicana Field always makes me think of orange juice, so I guess the sports' naming investment pays off.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Well, $5,000.00 wouldn't do it today, would it? But whose to say who is a fool?! As Garrison Keillor once observed, "God writes comedy, but sometimes has a slow audience..." ////FROM JACK: Esau foolishly sold his birthright for a mess of pottage (lentil stew).

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Francesco University was no fool and look at the schools that are named after him! Thousands. And it didn't cost him a nickle.////FROM JACK: I've never heard of Francesco University, nor have I heard of Francesco.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Reminds me of "Ford Field", "Comerica Park", and just about every ball park, hockey rink, football arena or soccer field in the world. Some people feel they are not important unless their names are in lights. If anyone deserved a big sign across Detroit, it should be "Ilitch".////FROM JACK: Ilitch already has the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl which is played in Ford Field.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Your story about Nicholas Brown reminds me of the one about John Harvard, the "founder" of Harvard University. He was not actually the founder, but a significant benefactor at the time the school got started. Much later a life-size bronze statue of John Harvard was placed in front of University Hall. There were no images of John Harvard available and no one actually knew what he looked like, so the figure was just created out of imagination. Each year the student orientation guides tell the novel story to new students coming on campus.////FROM JACK: I wonder how much Elihu Yale had to pay in order to have the university named for him?



No comments: