Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 9/25/08

Jack’s Winning Words 9/25/08
“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
(Camus) I was at a meeting the other day when each of us was asked to name our favorite season of the year. By far, the majority said that it was fall (autumn). What is your favorite? Fall begins in the United States on Sept 23. A piano piece that I like is, Autumn Leaves, played by Roger Williams. I also like to sing, Shine On, Harvest Moon. ;-) Jack


FROM M.T. IN PA: My favorite season is the season of change: the vibrant energy of fresh growth; the dark rush of an oncoming storm; a blizzard of falling leaves; the silver sheen of daybreak over an icy landscape.
...that's my creative writing effort for the day... REPLY FROM JACK: You've covered all of the bases. One of the reasons I like Michigan is because of the stark seasonal changes. I guess I do like each for it's own characteristic...The same can be said for the people I know, including you


FROM MOLINER G.S.: Autumn in New York(Frank Sinatra), September Song(Patti Page). Hard to believe - Huessin Obama in the lead for now. REPLY: You could have stopped with September Song.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Isn't it interesting....people who don't recognize "The Fall" and its consequences love this time of year!!!

FROM J.L. IN MI: Fall is my favorite too, although I love living in Michigan for all of it's beautiful seasons. I best remember "Shine On, Shine on Harvest Moon" as being one of Mitch Miller's favorites too. I loved watching to Mitch Miller!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: And Winter is like Summer. The weather is unbearable. JACK'S REPLY: And on the beach, summer is bareable!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I have to agree. Although I like living where there are seasonal changes, fall has always been very special. For one thing, one of my sons was born in early October and I vividly recall a huge orange maple tree ouside my hospital window. I have always loved school fall activities. My kids (and now grandkids) were/are in sports. I really like Halloween. This year I am going with daughter and her kids to the Greenfield Village Holloween Walk. Never have done that, but hear that it is great. Two grandkids share an October birthday (2 years apart). Living near the high school, I can hear the band practice now. Haven't been able to get out on my bike much lately ( care giving is so 24/7) but I have enjoyed pedaling over there to watch the kids. I do not like the shortening days, maybe that is why all of this is so much more precious.

FROM BBC IN IL: My daughter and son just finished The Stranger (one for school, one for fun); thanks for this quote which shows us another side of Camus!

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ....we'd better like it.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Fall is beautiful, especially Indian Summer, which was a promise of more, of another chance, But Spring is the real PROMISE. A renewal of life, a new garden. Julie and I used to start our garden on Good Friday. She was a real buddy, my promise to spread the DNA of my parents so the world will become a better place to live in, and together we planted seeds to replinish the food stock so my progeny could live and flourish, Sir and Mam, SPRING is our Lord"s answer to the renewal of life, it is the season of the year to rejoice and spread our love to mankind, especially our family, and family of friends.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: Winter - because I associate Advent with Winter and the family had lots of birthdays in winter....
Spring - new life
Summer - SAILING!
Fall - melancholic and reflective
I love 'em all!


FROM J.B. IN WI: I absolutely LOVE spring when everything is fresh and coming to life again. It seems like such a season of hope. Of course, I like something of all the seasons and that is why I love living in Wisconsin, but spring is my ultimate of the seasons.

FROM GUSTIE M.N.: Me too!

FROM CJL IN OH: I kinda like Spring because it is when life "springs" forth again...

FROM THRIVENT TOM: Next time we are together, I would like to hear "Shine On Harvest Moon" Bring along the music and maybe we can harmonize!

HERE ARE THE LYRICS TO "SHINE ON."
The night was mighty dark so you could hardly see, For the moon refused to shine. Couple sitting underneath a willow tree, For love they did pine, Little maid was kinda 'fraid of darkness So she said, "I guess I'll go." Boy began to sigh, looked up at the sky, Told the moon his little tale of woe:
"Oh, shine on, shine on harvest moon up in the sky. I ain't had no lovin' since January, February, June or July Snowtime ain't no time to stay outdoors and spoon, So shine on, shine on harvest moon - for me and my gal!"
I can't see why a boy should sigh, When by his side is the girl he loves so true, All he has to say is: "Won't you be my bride, For I love you, Why should I be telling you this secret, When I know that you can guess?" Harvest moon will smile, Shine on all the while, If the little girl should answer "yes."
"Oh, shine on, shine on harvest moon up in the sky. I ain't had no lovin' since January, February, June or July Snowtime ain't no time to stay outdoors and spoon So shine on, shine on harvest moon - for me and my gal!"

FROM YOOPER BOB L.: Sure like this quote. We are going to Porterfield near Mennominee to lead an evangelism weekend. Then we continue on to N.D. to help our son with the soy bean harvest. I;m sure our eyese will be filled with the autumn flowers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like spring for practical reasons. It harbors the end of the weather when I have more and more trouble getting around, don't relish falling down on the ice, breaking bones, etc., etc., the days finally start getting long enough so putting the garbage out either Tuesday night or before 7:00 a.m. Wednesday morning isn't such a chore--it being dark outside so much more. After a long winter, spring is just a much easier season for someone my age and each year I appreciate it more and more.
Sharon