Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 9/23/08
“I finally know what distinguishes man from other beasts: financial worries.”
(Jules Renard) I like the words of Jesus when he said, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust corrupt and thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where none of that stuff happens.” When your treasure is in heaven, you can sleep like a dog and purr like a kitten. ;-) Jack


FROM P.O. IN MI: Love the paraphrasing.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I think it is natural to be concerned about financial things. You just can't let them take over. We always balanced the budget in our church....every year. If the income was not what we expected, we cut back on expenses. That seems to be a wise thing to do. You just can't let finances be first. We always had it last on the agenda at counci meetngs so that people would not dwell on that topic since by that time, they were ready to go home.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: Very well said. Had a banker once tell me, "When you tithe, you throw over that money-god."

FROM CJL IN OH: I think I ceased to worry about "mammon" when God called me to be a Pastor......

FROM A.W. IN IL: according to that statement, I guess I am quite a man because I worry lots
about finances....and needlessly so. REPLY FROM JACK: I like this old one.....Worry is a like rocking in a rocking chair...It gives us something to do, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I think he may have something there. I wish I had a nickel for the many, many times I have heard from someone that Jesus talked about wealth more than anything else. Another interesting quote, Pastor Freed.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed everyone's responses here on this blogg today. There is a lot of wisdom in balancing the budget that one person wrote about. And having the budget talk at the end of the meeting. I like reading your blogg better than the newspaper but need to read both anyway.
Sharon