Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 7/31/08
“Change your thoughts, and you change your world.”
(Norman Vincent Peale) I’ve found that it works for me. I belong to The Optimist Club. I was one of the founding members of the club which began in our community in 1972. There’s too much pessimism and negativity in the world for my taste. Change the station! ; -) Jack


FROM P.O. IN MI: Thank you, thank you! There is nothing as exhausting and nonproductive as all that negativism. I always tried to encourage my kids to 'hang out' with positive, optimistic people.

FROM YOOPER, PR B.L.: Amen! The same negativity has invaded the ELCA members. No wonder we are flat.

FROM M.L. IN IL: i'm with you brother!

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I take it that you don't go to many of Euripedes' plays!!!

FROM DMF IN MN: I remember reading his books from your library when I was a kid.

FROM AMcC IN MI: I was in a doctor,s waiting room yesterday and two parents walked in with triplets, one girl and two boys.. Wow! I was so excited. Someone said "Aren't triplets unusual?" I responded "I am 78 years old and this is the first time I have been in a room with triplets". Another told the parents how they were going to have their hands full when the babies started walking. No kidding! They have their hands full now.
But they were a team, caring and attentive. The babies were beautiful, perfect little faces and hands.
Their personalities were already peeking through in their expressions. I felt privileged to be in the presence of this lovely family. By the way, they came early, on June 24, the feast of St. John the Baptist.
Most of the observers were deighted to watch the family, but even there a couple of pessimists appeared. Cheers for the Optimists.


FROM CWR IN B'MORE: What famous philosopher coined the phrase..."YES WE CAN"??.....Oh Yes. It was Obama!!!

FROM CJL IN OH: That's part of the reason I still belong to the Kiwanis Club. WE need more Optimists & Kiwanians. Work Hard!

FROM DFL IN OR: It was so very interesting to hear of your membership in Optimist Int. What a privilege it hasbeen to belong to several Optimist clubs since 1960. It has involved serving in several capacities bothin club and district offices. "Promise yourself...etc. is a very profound creed to me!

FROM D.S. IN MI: Bravo! I believe IF and when we stop talking about how bad things are life will begin to change for the better.

FROM D.W. IN MI: Norman was one of my favorites when I was still in my teens and early twenties. I still follow some of his teachings...30 years later!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've found the only thing that works for me is that I say "Yes, Jesus. There is division again, there is lack of understanding again. I'm defensive and fearful again. Sinning, both mine and the other's, is going on. You've got to help me still a time more." My optimism comes from my hope and actually belief that He is intervening and actually doing something among us all to bring about reconciliation and peace. In my limited experience I have a lot of difficulty changing my own mind by myself and I feel really frustrated changing anyone else's mind too. Someone bigger needs to bring us understanding of each other.
Sharon