Monday, July 28, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 7/28/08
“A man only learns in two ways, one by reading and the other by associating with smarter people.”
(Will Rogers). Now you know why you’re on my Winning Words’ list of friends and relatives. My next goal is to do some more reading. I’m starting with Gilda Radner’s book, It’s Always Something. It’s good to be back on-line. ;-) Jack


FROM N.L. IN INDY: GLAD YOUR BACK: THAT'S A "GREAT QUOTE" I'VE USED IT MOST OF MY LIFE.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: It's good to find you back on-line. Regarding learning, I think you can learn a lot just by looking.

FROM B.G. IN MI: Agreed. Where have your travels taken you?
You are one of the smarter people whose wisdom I value, Jack.

FROM P.O. IN MI: And it's wonderful to have you back! I'm currently reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran".

FROM EFP IN IL: Glad you're back. You're a great way to start the day.

FROM J.L. IN MI: Loved Will Rogers....and he is so right. Associating with smart people does rub off! As for reading, I don't believe there is a better way to learn! I have been really stretching my comfort zone by reading different material this summer also (when I have time).

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I listen to all kinds of people. I'm not sure if they are smarter than me or not but in many cases they have useful opinions or information.

FROM M.T. IN PA: Thanks for the compliment. One way I learn is by reading your emails.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Will was right up to a point. The third way to learn is to watch what dumb people do. Then don't do it. We missed you.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Glad to have you back! I have had withdrawal symptoms from not being able
to harass you.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: I even missed your daily missives! But I don't think I'll ever be a Detroit of Bad Blue fan

FROM SDG IN TAMPA: Will Rogers is great. Speaking of reading, I have been doing a lot in this hot weather. In Washington I finished Big Russ and Me which I had brought to our son Tom, The Lasr Patriot, which was very exciiting but annoying at the end and which I left with Nicole. our granddaughter, who works for the State Department, and now, in Orlando, I am just finishing Forever Island about the Seminole Indians. Growing up in Illinois and before television was an easy way to learn to love to read, don't you think?

FROM F.M. IN WI: I too have sought to associate with smarter people . . . like you and many others. I am enjoying Tom Brokaw's latest, Boom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you're back, Pastor Freed. Good to read your Winning Words this morning. Been pondering them a bit here and calling to mind the many, many teachers I've had and pondering what smartness means. I've been learning to see smartness in unlikely ways especially in the cross. So many people forward things to us here at the house, all kinds of prayer things and political things, etc., etc., and leave not a clue about inviting conversation but I particularly appreciate your conveying Winning Words plus your own Winning Comments and your invitation to participate and all the people who respond. It's a very friendly and personal way to use the computer, Pastor Freed, and you are a blessing for thinking up such a good, constructive, beneficial way to be community. Good to see you are back safe and sound.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack: Another way we learn is by helping others learn. (from a former teacher.)