Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 7/2/08
“You may delay, but time will not.”
(Poor Richard’s Almanack) This is one of those sayings that you read, and then say: “Ain’t it the truth!” Ben Franklin had a way with words by connecting them with wit and wisdom. The March of Time has taken old Ben, but his words and his influence remain with us. We owe so much to him. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: From my earliest years Ben Franklin's sayings have caught on with me. They still ring true. He's been outstanding in dispensing simple common sense. Much of what he said related to frugality. I've saved too...pictures of him from the U.S. Treasury. MORE FROM R.I.: Back a few years when we were living in Ann Arbor, I was crossing a side street off of State Street, and as I reached the curb I saw a folded bill lying in the gutter. When I picked it up and opened it, Ben Franklin appeared. What a surprise. Alas, it's never happened again.

FROM P.O. IN MI: "Ain't it the truth!"

FROM MOLINER G.S.: Right ON!! It's interesting, the busier we are, the more we get done.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Just as time will not delay, some of the events of our past are not so easily forgotten. One of my favorites I wrote for my first book was: “The past is the past, unless you still owe for it.”
I liked the idea of positioning as a modern day Poor Richard, but my publisher said it was too long ago, no one would remember. I think Franklin’s writing still endures 172 years later—that’s a legacy.

FROM M.L. IN IL: he was quite a colorful character. this quote reinforces the imporance to live in the now. i am rereading eckhart tolle's the power of now. it awakens the mind and spirit to the concept of the present. not an easy task!

FROM J.L. IN MI: Yes he was something. He was smart, witty, clever, strange and a God-send with faults, just like the rest of us. We thank him and all of the others this 4th!

FROM PR P.H. IN MN: plus he invented the five and dime store too! bet you haven't heard that phrase for a while.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually this quote is kind of perplexing. It sounds ominous. Like delaying has a repercussion in the time that is not itself delaying. Sometimes I like to think that delaying changes the course of time itself. How come God waited so long to be incarnate?
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I mean incarnate in Jesus.
Sharon