Monday, June 02, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 6/2/08
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change some else’s life forever.”
(Margaret Cho) I thought that Margaret was just a joke teller. Now, I see that she has a serious side, too. I guess it’s the same for all of us. We are more than what shows on the outside. Having said that, don’t overlook the point that Margaret is making. Try to do something generous for someone today. It might change their life. ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER EFP: Good morning. I was surprised not long ago when a "girl" who was a couple of years behind me in school told me that I was the only "big kid" who ever treated her as an equal, even though she was younger. It never occurred to me, not having siblings, that younger somehow meant "lesser." I did nothing out of the ordinary, yet for her it was a huge deal for her-- even now.

FROM K.B. IN MI: ...and the part to remember is you may never know that you were the change factor--we use stories often in our training programs about children who have succeeded despite terrible odds and it often goes back to one teacher, one mentor and even one incident. Thanks for being there for us,

FROM M.L. IN IL: in my life, i have been the recipient of so much generousity. it is life shaping as well as life changing. i try to practice small generousity each day to pay tribute to all who "formed" me.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Generosity turns selfish into selfless. A happier state of being.

FROM S.G. IN MI: Practice random acts of kindness. Indeed a very good posture for us all. Kindness breeds kindness!

FROM M.T. IN PA: This reminds me of a half-joke, half serious line that I thought of a long time ago:
"Angels are people, too."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was interesting googling Margaret Cho's biography. I once heard one of my former Pastors tell from the pulpit how some guy had come up to him at a college reunion--years and years later and thank him for the tremendous impact he had made on the guy's life. The Pastor hadn't a clue as to what he must have done. I believe in the mysterious impact of mustard seeds growing and in the influence of small barely detectable actions--in Margaret Cho's insight here. Thanks, Pastor Freed, for beginning another day with Winning Words.