Monday, March 31, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/31/08
“Don’t ask who influenced me. A lion is made up of the lambs he’s digested, and I’ve been reading all my life.”
(Charles de Gaulle) This is a great quote! The books I’ve read, the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve had…and the guidance of God, have all shaped me into who I am today. And there’s a story behind each of them. You, too? ;-) Jack


FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: we have a carving in the wood on the front of our Altar of a lamb. Somehow it is a stretch for me to see all of us in our pews as lions. Maybe like in the Wizard of Oz. I wonder about that Charles de Gaulle. Interesting quote as always.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: As it said in the old song, " I've sung this song and I'll sing it again, of the people I've met and the places I've been, some of the troubles that bothered my mind, and a lot of good people that I've left behind." Lots of influences. Various winds blow us in many directions.

FROM S.G. IN MICHIGAN: Indeed! Good morning, Jack. Enjoy this beautiful new Monday! JACK'S RESPONSE: I've sometimes quoted this poem in funeral messages.
God hath not promised skies always blue,Flower strewn pathways all our lives through;God hath not promised sun without rain,Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.
But God hath promised strength for the day,Rest for the labor, light for the way,Grace for the
trials, help from above,Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: So, now we know who to blame for what your are today!!! JACK'S RESPONSE:
This reminds me of something at happened at Trinity Moline when I was growing up there. A German family came to the USA and joined the church. Their children did extremely well in school and got special recognition. The proud mother was quoted as saying, "The Church is to blame for that." That's one of the expressions in my memory that has made me proud of my church.


FROM MOLINER, G.S.: I've thanked my high school classmates for the positive influence they've been on my life. Have you?

FROM M.T. IN PENNSYLVANIA: I came across a couple of thought-provoking lines over the weekend:
"The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."- Mark Twain, in a letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888
There are people who say, "If music's that easy to write, I could do it." Of course they could, but they don't. - John Cage


FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Yes, I have been shaped by many things, people, book, places I visited, and mainly, by God. I wouldn't change one influence...good or bad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we have a carving in the wood on the front of our Altar of a lamb. Somehow it is a stretch for me to see all of us in our pews as lions. Maybe like in the Wizard of Oz. I wonder about that Charles de Gaulle. Interesting quote as always, Pastor Freed.