Monday, March 24, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/24/08
My mother-in-law graduated from high school at age 16. She kept a Composition Book in which she wrote or pasted poems and quotes that were important to her. I’m going to use some of them this week, because I think that they’re so good.
“So many gods, So many creeds, So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind Is all the sad world needs.” (Ella Wheeler Wilcox) Isn’t it interesting that something saved in a book so long ago is relevant today? ;-) Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Sounds like the thesis statement for the song, “We are the world.”

FROM S.M. IN MICHIGAN: What a wonderful celebration of Women’s History month!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: At a time now when we are realizing the importance of recycling, you've shown some simple but remarkable words can motivate us all over again. And again. Wilcox had special insight, but your mother-in-law had unusual vision.

FROM C.B. IN N.H.: That is a very good one. You're so right. I finished a book on vacation called Gilead- it got great reviews and was described as very spiritual. I have to agree. It was about a pastor in a small town who has a heart condition and is reflecting on his life through a diary to his son. It took me a long time to read because I had to think about it, re-read at times before moving on. Have you read it?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Just like I am doing with my mother's things. When I moved her here from MN I found a small spiral notebook where she had written a summary of every book in the Bible. Some pretty profound stuff. I am typing it all out with hope of making copies for my kids. Has some of her own thoughts, etc, etc, Her heading on this was "What the Bible is all about" I feel blessed in so many ways to have her here!

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: And what is required of thee but to do justice, to love KINDNESS and to walk humbly with thy God"

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I think I agree with Wilcox and your mom-in-law (how can one not) but it was intersting to hear part of a recording on NPR with Jarislov Pelikan on the importance of creeds...
MORE FROM C.H.: You write: Isn’t it interesting that something saved in a book so long ago is relevant today?
You could say that about the Bible too! Hope it has been and is a blessed Easter for you!


FROM MEU IN MICHIGAN: One of my favorite authors is Joseph Campbell. One of the quotes (not direct) but from memory is that myths never change, because people never change. The moral lessons we learned are still appropriate today. I believe I read in "The Hero With a Thousand Faces." Your mother-in-law was very profound.

FROM J.O. IN MICHIGAN: This world thinks it's too sophisticated to be kind to others. That's so sad...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barak Obama was on the TV yesterday and saying that when he starts getting our troops out of Iraq, he will work politically in the Middle East, visiting many countries, Iran, Syria, etc. also. I'm getting a copy of the book "The Holy Koran Interpreted" A complete and original complation of the Real Revelation from God to mankind through the last Prophet Muhammad, published by the United Muslim Foundation. To try to lower my fears and so forth just want to ascertain for myself that the Holy Koran teaches people to be kind. Those words that your mother-in-law wrote so many, many years ago still certainly are true, the sad world needs us to be kind to each other.
Sharon