Friday, July 06, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/6/18
“Be thankful for today, because in one moment your entire life could change.”  (Unknown)  “In the blink of an eye.”  An eye blink is about 4/10s of a second.  If a batter blinks, the fastball will pass him before he opens his eyes again.  That’s how fast life can change for us…in the blink of an eye.  Perhaps you know of someone who’s experienced that.  Regina Brett wrote: “God never blinks!”  What comfort to know that God’s unblinking eye is on YOU!    ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good words. In Rock Island on July3, while watching fireworks at the Centennial Bridge a huge tree branch fell on the crowd at the county courthouse, killed 2 and injured several, IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE.===JACK:  A person that I know was setting off fireworks for family and friends.  One of the items did not go off, so (knowing better in hindsight) he went to check on it.  In the blink of an eye, he lost an eye and is within one eye of being blind.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  how true this is!  yesterday we attended the funeral of a women who seemed very healthy until she had a massive stroke and died at age 76.  also, a good friend lost a son a week ago to a motorcycle accident.  both very sad life-changing events.     every day is a gift! ===JACK:  Every pastor,I'm sure, has similar stories to tell.  After news of a tragic death, I usually felt unease as I drove to make first contact with the family.===SP:  for sure.   when first out of the seminary,  those situations scared me half to death.  it was only later that i realized just how MUCH the family wanted and needed my/our presence at that moment.   i will say my 3 quarters of CPE in a hospital were also very helpful in letting me be more at ease with death, dying, and trauma.  take care, old and wise friend.===JACK:  In a couple of hours I'll be making one of "those" calls.  Tho not because of a death, it is one where a pastor and friend is wanted and needed.===SP:  bless you for going to her.   i guess we never fully escape our ordination vows:):):)==JACK:  It was not a "have to," but a "want to" call.  I never saw my work as fulfilling an ordination vow.  It was work that I enjoyed (and still enjoy) doing.  Besides, I got to meet the daughter and her 1-month-old son.  ===SP:  truthfully i can't even recall just exactly what the vows stated but in a general sense,  it was to serve God's people, the church,  and the needs of the world in general.===JACK:  Are you sure those aren't the words people say when they join the Church?

FROM DM IN LIV:  I was a little uneasy reading the first part of today’s Winning Words but then I got to the part that says “God never blinks!” and I breathed a sigh of relief.  Thank you and have a beautiful, blessed day!===JACK:  Be aware today...that God really does have His eye on YOU!  ===DM:  Oh…now that has a whole new meaning. 😊

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Thanks for the song of the day...”he’s got his eyes on you”. I have had a series of life changing events this spring/summer. Some good some sad all challenging. Life goes on and I’m thankful for each day’s adventure❤️ ===JACK:  If it didn't change, it wouldn't be life.  Are you now done at Peppermint?  If so, what is your fondest memory?===MARY:  the school will remain with me forever although we closed the doors on may 25th.  there are so many individual memories and lovely stories.  i think my sweetest memories are of "door opening" time each day.  happy children coming in to start the day and greet their friends.  even the ones having a bit of trouble were joy to me for they were the ones that would sit on my lap until ready to join the group.  i heard the best stories and could share my stories with them.  i never wanted to be away from my home when i was little unless my mama or daddy was with me.  the children seemed to appreciate that fact. i am pondering my next stage in life and wondering how i can continue to work with children and parents, (really just more children as i aged).  there is so much information "out there" but so little guidance for families in stress.  i'll come up with a way.  you did with your winning words.  i thank god for them every day.  it's the first thing i read when i wake.  thank you.===JACK:  Creative people, like you, will come up with the idea that fits.

FRO FACEBOOK LIZ:  a year ago tomorrow we lost my beloved father... in the blink of an eye. he was waiting for my daughter to pick him up for dinner out. he fell asleep in his chair, dreaming of a good meal and the company of his cherished granddaughter.  that’s the way to go at age 90, he’d tell you...===JACK:  I have a book in my library, "They Went That-a-Way," which describes how some of the famous and no so famous people died.  Your father's death was unusual in the way it happened.  But, of course, he was unusual...very special.  You were fortunate.

FROM ANNE McC:  Padre Pio  "Pray, hope, don't worry."  I live one day at a time.  I thank God for a good night's sleep and that I can still take my own shower.  Each morning and night I abandon myself to Him and pray that He helps me to accept whatever I am sent,  God is good.  These are the thoughts I had when I read these words of Pastor Freed's WW.  Peace and prayers, ===JACK:  We have so much to be thankful for...and it's more than material things.  Faith, family and friends are 3 F's.  God is good!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  My nephew in law was riding his 4-wheeler without his helmet, fell off, hit his head and suffered brain damage and is partially paralyzed on his left side.  In the blink of an eye!   Thankfully, God is always on the job.===JACK: I believe that "God never blinks," but I'm interested to know what you mean by "o, the job/"===JUDY:  “His eye is in the Sparrow, and I know He watches me.”


No comments: