Friday, March 30, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/30/18
“It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness.”  (J.K. Rowling)  The fear of darkness and the fear of death are common phobias.  Google can tell of ways to meet these fears.  But, a fear more inimical is Xenophobia, the fear of the unfamiliar.  It expresses itself in being suspicious of things and people that are different… “foreign” languages, cultures.  The French have a saying:  Viva la difference, meaning, Live the difference, celebrate the unique.    ;-)  Jack

ROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  When I was in Washington for the march, I visited the holocaust center.  Obviously, an emotional experience.  It was at the end of the visit that made an impression on me that I wasn’t prepared for.  the last exhibit was devoted to Syria and the genocide that is happening there. Obviously, I know what’s happening there, but for the Holocaust Museum To educate us on this and also on the genocide of Armenians by Turkey..made a real impact on me. Then today, Trump contradicts his own Pentagon spokesperson talking about Syria.  It makes me wonder.  Roosevelt was begged to bomb the railroad tracks in Germany and Poland that carried so many people to the death camps.  He refused.  Is that any different than what Trump is doing in Syria?   I’m not a war monger but genocide is going on there with such brutality that it defies understanding.  Just venting a little, Jack====JACK:  I know that attending the Washington March was an emotional experience for you, and the museum visit just added  to that.  Personally I think that it's unfair to compare Trump and FDR.  Different  times and different types of people.  Sometimes leaders face choices that have consequences that the public is not aware of.  It's not a perfect world...now, or then.====PAUL:  Historians have always asked what two different t leaders living at different times would do given the same circumstances. It may be unfair but it makes for interesting books, movies and discussions. ====JACK:  It may help sell books, but it's unreasonable.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  that is why religion seeks to explain the unknown...   et, oui, vive le difference. it would be a boring world if we were all the same, my mom always said.====JACK: It seems a common thing that people seek to know the unknown.  Teachers, for better of worse, seek to fulfill the role of "explainers."  ...and either we learn from what they say, or we don't.  With the passage of time, much of the unknown remains unknown, and we continue to seek.====LIZ:  w/o the unknown it would be a boring story. the vastness of space should keep us occupied for a while... ====JACK:  ...and exploring the human psyche, too.====LIZ:  fascinating stuff!  happy easter...  ====JACK:  Easter is fascinating, too.  Even now, we don;t know the whole story.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Someone should explain xenophobia to President Trump, but it seems none of his staff remain around there long enough to get the message to him.====JACK:  Some people like it that there's never been a President like him.  Others fear that that's true.

FROM LBP:  I don’t like taking about fear. It just makes me feel icky. But I don’t think I have Phobophobia (it’s a thing I just looked it up)====JACK:  Chicken Little was something like that.  I'd rather follow the example of the prophet Job.  In the midst of all of his difficulties, he said (about God): "Though he slay me, yet, will I trust him."

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Wishing you blessings on this Holy Opening Day!  Such a special time when our beautiful traditions coincide; Holy Week & Passover. Ha e a wonderful weekend and a terrific holiday.  Sorry Sister Jean, not this year!====JACK:  I choose to concentrate of the similarities of our religious searches, rather than on our differences....any way to better understand the unknown.  Incidentally, relying on Sister Jean to affect the outcome of a basketball game is about as effective as crossing yourself before shooting a free throw.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:   We definitely fear the unknown.  I'm not a worrier...I will get into an airplane not thinking am I going to die or am I going to get killed in a shoot out at the mall.  I don't fear death at all, but I do fear the way I'm going to go....fast or slow.  Poor Jesus suffered a horrible death for us.  I'm not sure ai could do the same...suffering on a cross.====JACK:  When it comes right down to it, who knows what YOU might do for someone you love?  That's the explation of Jesus...and a "what if" in your life, too.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Really we do not know what will happen each day. We just pray that all will be good!====JACK:  Are you a worry wart?



No comments: