Thursday, November 09, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 11/9/17
“Sometimes rejection in life is really redirection.”  (Tavis Smiley)   I “met” Tavis on NPR where I learned that he became interested in politics at age 13.  It made a big difference for him.  Did you know that Madonna was fired after working less than a day at Dunkin’ Donuts?  After his debut on the Grand Ole Opry, Elvis was told that he’d be better off driving trucks.  I was fired only once in my life.  When were you directed (redirected) into your “career”?    ;-)  Jack

FROM TRIHARDER:  If i was more proficient in math, I would have been an engineer.====JACK:  Someone told me that I would make a good pastor.  That was something I'd never thought of. ====TH:  Interesting the directions one takes as a result of offhanded comments made to us.

FROM LBP:  Not quite in your WW line of thought but I was “directed” into my first real job. It went something like this:  Mom: “you should probably start looking for a summer job.” Me: “yeah where do you think?” Pr Freed: “They are hiring at the Dairy Queen. You should apply.”  Uncanny timing. But I loved being a DQ girl. And I still draw on things I learned there that summer.
====JACK:  Something else you learned by working for Frank..."When you're at the window I'm not paying you to chat with your boyfriends."  Or, do I have that wrong?

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I was on a scholarship to Harvard's Summer Institute of World Affairs.    I was the youngest person there....most were grad students.   Most were also agnostics or atheists.    Had some powerful discussions on religion.....which at that point was not the center of my life.    The atheists pushed me toward God.   I went home from that program committed to Christ and his church.    God evangelized me thru the atheists!    In my ministry, I think I was always good at listening to the skeptics and the doubters....I was always one myself.    And, I always needed a good shot of skepticism to renew my faith.====JACK:  Even Jesus associated with tax collectors and sinners.  What is faith, if it is not "tested?"====JOHN:  The point was that the skeptics did not test my faith but instead changed and deepened it.  Not much there before.

FROM LK:  I was fired three times, Jack. Including one that you know of.  The root problem: my own arrogance. 20/20 rearview is helpful, is cleansing.====JACK:  I wear my "firing" as a badge of honor.  It was a job (cleaning toilets) was one that I didn't want, anyhow.====LK:  "cleansing" (toilets), haha!  Gotta smile at times, the more frequent the better.====JACK:  No brush and gloves, either.. just bare hands and a rag.  I can't believe I did it.

FROM TARMART REV:  West Bloomfield, Michigan to Willmar, Minnesota, from pastoring to becoming a church outreach staff pastor and community chaplain to a small rural city of 20,000 residents and county of 40,000 . . . at it for over 25 years now, and enjoying it as well.====JACK:  WB prepared you for Willmar, and Willmar prepared you for not returning to Michigan.  There's a saying: "Bloom where you are planted."  I'm sure that you know the song..."Where He leads me, I will follow."

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good thoughts for today.====JACK:  I can't imagine that "fired" appears anywhere on your resume.  Vince Lombardi once said to his football players, "If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm."  Do you think that a bishop would ever dare to say that?

FROM INDY GENIE:  I love sharing you and the WW's :)====JACK:  Missionary Frank Laubach had a slogan/philosophy for teaching the illiterate and sharing the message of Jesus..."Each one teach one."  I remember this song from Sunday School...
If to Christ our only king  Men redeemed we strive to bring,
Just one way this may be done—  We must win them one by one.
Refrain:   So you bring the one next to you,  And I’ll bring the one next to me;
In all kinds of weather, we’ll all work together,  And see what can be done.
If you’ll bring the one next to you,  And I bring the one next to me,
In no time at all we’ll have them all,  So win them, win them, one by one.
====GENIE:  Good Sunday School song...I'm imagining you singing it as a little boy:)====JACK:  Sunday School singing made a BIG difference in my life.  I wonder what made the BIG difference for you?  ..for your children?


No comments: