Friday, November 10, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 11/10/17
“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”  (Vince Lombardi)  Vince wasn’t the best football coach ever (people in Green Bay might disagree), so why do you suppose the NFL’s Super Bowl trophy is named after him?  Lombardi might have become a Catholic priest, except that he wanted a career where he could stomp and lose his temper.  He lived and also expected his team to always “chase” perfection.     ;-)  Jack

TARMART REV:  ...kind of like chasing after Jesus Christ, hey Jack?!?!====JACK:  Have you ever read The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson?  Google it!====REV:  I have not . . . You have uncovered one of my major weaknesses . . . Book reading .  . . Short stories are about my limit most times.====JACK:  You can read a synopsis of Thompson's book on your computer.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yep, very successful, but at the expense of his relationship with his family.  His son said he (Vince) was never home and there for them.  Everything has a price.====JACK:  The absentee father (mother) is not only a problem for the coaching profession, it's a problem with other jobs, too.  As a pastor, most of the time I was able to control my schedule, but there were times when "duty" called.  Life is sometimes a balancing act.====RS:  It is.  I have a lot of respect for good "jugglers" who are so effective in doing so many different things.

FROM DS IN CA:  I admired him.  Guess that's why I'm always stomping and losing my temper..... but I'm trying!!!====JACK:  Like my mom used to do....when "my" team is doing something stupid, I just stomp out of the room.  I blame it on the genes. 

FROM BB:  You know I’m a Packer backer – always interesting to read Lombardi trivia; thanks for sharing.====JACK:  What was Lombardi's political affiliation?
 He never registered to vote
 Republican
 Democrat
 Independent

No comments: