Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/26/16
"You can’t get much done in life, if you only work on the days you feel good.”  (Jerry West)  I remember receiving an award for perfect attendance at Sunday School.  Even when on vacation, my parents would hunt up a place for me to attend S.S., so I’d get my “pin.”  Margret Chase Smith of Maine didn’t miss a US Senate vote for 13 years until she had surgery.  Employers value those who can be relied on.  The 7 Virtues could have an 8th, reliability.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  well, these are surely timely words for today, Jack.  many thanks. ====JACK:  I only remember one time that I woke up on a Sunday morning and was unable to conduct the service and preach.  It was after spending an entire Saturday slogging through snow and swamps on my first (and last) deer hunting experience.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I did the same thing!  I went when I was sick once and mom had to come and get me!  I tried to instill that in my choir kids with attendance prizes at the end of the year.  I don’t think it took!====JACK:  After a while we learn that the reward is in the doing.  My Sunday School (Kindergarten) promised each of us a present if we were able to memorize the 23rd Psalm.  My present turned out to be a necktie...just what I wanted.  At a Sunday School picnic I won a race, and my prize was a pocket knife.  I was so excited that I went home and tried it out on my mother's new sewing machine cabinet.  I never did that again.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A quote attributed to Winston Churchill; "85% of the world's work is done by people who don't feel very well." He stayed with Pres. Franklin Roosevelt several times, and am sure he observed how he slogged through his days feeling much less than 100%. Most reliable working people do keep going "no matter what".  I think this was  especially true of "the greatest generation", but am sure it still is true today. Good WW!====JACK:  Sometime, try to Google Harry Golden's essay, "The Show Must Go On."  Let me know what you think.

 FROM TARMART REV:  It was perfect attendance for my father...always attending Sunday School while on vacation or Sunday School and missing church if we were scheduled to be out of town for greater family gatherings. If my memory is correct, 15 or so years of perfect attendance.====JACK:  At our church they gave a pin with a numbered removable disc.  Your dad's disc would have the number, 15.  My pin's disc is the letter, T (Teacher).  I got that when I graduated from being a pupil.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Perfect words for me today.  If I only did work it play on the days I felt good, I would never leave my bed.   We went to VBS at a little white Baptist church in Harper Woods.  I loved the old Baptist songs we learned in VBS and still know them..."Washed in the Blood", "We will gather at the River", "Jacob's Ladder".  As for reliability, you can always count on an outhouse.====JACK:  Do you remember the days of the Sears catalog?

No comments: