Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 1/22/15
“Baby I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake it off.”  (Taylor Swift song)  Is there anyone who hasn’t seen the cop lip-syncing Taylor Swift’s song?  As is often the case, there’s more to a song than the music.  In “Shake It Off” Taylor is referring to “criticism” and how to handle it.  None of us can escape “criticism” of one sort, or another.  I like the biblical concept of “grace,” the opportunity to move on.  Imagine God singing, “Shake it off…and move on!”    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I was rather surprised to learn that Taylor Swift's new album has sold more copies than Disney's Frozen.====JACK:  Maybe Disney should have rented a cop.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme I'm reminded of Emerson's poem titled "SUCCESS" in which he writes:  To learn from the criticism of true friends & endure the criticism of false friends or the saying:  None can intimidate you without your permission.====JACK:  Have you ever tried to "shake off" a burr under your saddle?  ====IKE:  I haven't but I'll check with Elvis Presley, because he used to sing: "I'M ALL SHOOK UP".  I understand he's in Kalamazoo.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Thank God for forgiveness!====JACK:  Where would that appear in your TOP TEN things to be thankful for?====RAY:  I can't think of one higher on the list...

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I feel like we live within a state of grace that allows us to go forward even tho we might go astray every now and then.  Without that you either live in dishonesty or guilt. ====JACK:  We walk through life something like a drunken person.  God has a 1-Step program to straighten us out.  "Commit your way to the Lord!"

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Read this one out loud over breakfast and Kiki loves the thought of God singing shake it off  to us!====JACK:  Funny things can happen when we anthropomorphize God.  Thank the Lord  for allowing us to have a sense of humor.

FROM TARMART REV:  The Biblical book of Acts certainly gives us many encounters of Christ's disciples shaking it off and moving on!! "Wiping the dust off their feet" on their way out of town!! ====JACK:  Thanks for the good reminder that it's not necessarily a sin to "shake it off" and move on.  In my experience of starting new congregations, I came to the realization that I was not going to get a positive response every time to my invitation to "join up."  I simply had to move on to the next encounter.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Taylor’s Swift’s song has the same message as the Frozen song “Let it Go.” Actually, I’ve made the “Let it Go” song my theme for this year. Sometimes it seems that everyone thinks they can do my job better than I, so I “shake, shake, shake it off” and move on.  Thanks for listening and have a great day. Drive safe if you go anywhere.====JACK:  It sounds as though you're a "mover and a shaker."

FROM HORSECHAMP:  Great song.====JACK:  I've come to appreciate songs and singers of a generation other than mine.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is interesting that you know all of these modern songs and singers. I am familiar with Taylor Swift but not with the song.  Life is too short to worry or to think about what other people think about you as long as you are doing good things. I remember Miss Garst telling the story about stopping to hear a bird singing in a tree. If you want to stop, just do it.====JACK:  The song is in response to how she felt when people who made fun of the way she was dancing.  When people made fun of me and call me names, I'd respond..."Sticks and stones may break my bones..."  I don't think that the words were ever set to music.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As Sister Mary Lou Kownacki observed:"There isn't anyone you couldn't love, once you've heard their story"...Often criticism is levered due to lack of knowledge or understanding, or a coming from different cultures.  One is wise, to shake, shake, shake it off, but for most  of us, it  still rankles.  I don't know this song, but it has a  good thought! Taylor Swift seems to be a decent role model for our young girls!  Good for you being so up-to-date!  I'll look for that cop! I'm the one who hasn't seen him!!====JACK:  Re: Mary Lou's observation that there isn't anyone you couldn't love.....A pastor once preached on the topic, You Shall Love Your Neighbor!"  A man in the pew mumbled, "You haven't met my neighbor."  Let me know how you like the lip-syncing cop.  While you're at it, check out Taylor Swift on YouTube singing Shake It Off.

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Thank God for forgiveness!

Ray Gage said...

I can't think of one higher on the list...