Thursday, October 16, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/16/14
“You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.”  (Leonardo da Vinci) I don’t know about you, but Talk Radio turns me off.  I don’t think Leonardo would listen to Talk Radio, either.  He was a polymath…someone interested in many subjects…art, music, math, and on and on.  He had unquenchable curiosity.  If we were to simplify today’s quote, we might say, “Think before you speak.”  Good advice!      ;-)  Jack

 FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  my Dad used to say that talk radio was a whole lot of people who were sharing their ignorance in a very public venue...====JACK:  Some of those in front of the microphones at church assemblies seem to be doing the same thing...but that's what democracy is all about.  I've used the mic a few times, too, but I don't think I've ever called into a Talk Show.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  It's true that Leonardo was an amazing thinker and creator.  He obviously investigated a lot of things to expand his ideas.  Have you ever wondered, as I have, how Leonardo capitalized on all of it, as we would say, "made a living" from it?  I know Mona Lisa didn't have the value when painted that it would yield today.====JACK:  I'm thinking that most people during Leonardo's day were not as obsessed with making "a buck" as they are today.  Perhaps it was because there weren't as many advertized "necessities."

FROM TARMART REV:  The more I'm quiet, the more I leave them guessing as to my intelligence . . . often they will give me the benefit of any doubt, when I do!!====JACK:  The problem arises when someone asks..."What do you think?"

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, when we're driving on a vacation, often we get those talk radio stations and I'm not so much bothered at what they are saying, it's the tone of voice that they say it in--to me at least their tone of voice drowns out my receptivity of their message. I have the same problem with some of my friends on Facebook who are constantly posting these things for a "cause"--too much of that and their tone of voice blocks my paying very much attention to what they are trying to say.  But I don't believe in censorship so just keep allowing it and "scroll down" or, if in the car, daydream and enjoy watching the scenery with the Talk Radio as background noise. ====JACK:  I don't very much humility when I "happen" to hear talk radio.  I usually switch to some music, country/western or classical.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Talk radio can be educational and I believe Leonardo would have an open and curious mind to all sides. How about NPR or talk TV do you dislike that also??????  One can turn  off a radio but must sit through a sermon even if it is boring, right??????? Sigh, What am I going to do with you..........If Michelle Obama listened to talk radio she might have learned that all of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were born in America except 8. She recently told a group of new citizens that all were born abroad like them. HMMMMM Talk radio, NPR, Talk TV. or maybe a Harvard education. Oh well on to work today.  Love your emails and our opportunity to communicate. Going to the theater tonight. You would say good, Bob needs culture right?
GOD BLESS.====JACK:  The fact that you bring up M.O. does indicate that you are a Talk Radio fan.  Sigh.  Talk TV is also a turnoff for me.  I'd rather watch Honey Boo Boo.  BTW..Boring Sermons???====RJP:  Boring Sermons.....Present company excepted of course!!!!!!!!!!  Honey Boo Boo? Please you have a greater level of intellect than that. Your reluctance to listen to or watch talk  programs could be a sign of FEAR..... be careful...psychology 101. Any time you need analysis please call. I actually got past psychology 201 and through philosophy. Believe it or not my philosophy Professor was a Harvard man. Freud has nothing on me.  LOL LOL LOL . Love having fun with you........====JACK:  If you could bring yourself to listen to NPR, you might hear the Duck's Breath Mystery Theater, featuring Dr. Science.  "He knows more than you do...He's not a real doctor...He has a Master's Degree...in Science."  Don't try to mess with my mind.  "I have a Bachelor's Degree...in Philosophy."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Not many humans would have Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Mathematician, Engineer, Inventor, Anatomist, Geologist, Cartographer, Botanist and Writer, listed after their names in biographies!!! What a diverse talent, tho he did seem to have some difficulty staying with one thing and finishing the whole project!  Today, he sounds a a bit like a philosopher as well!     Afraid it is too common to censure what is not understood.  Good WW to remember! ====JACK:  Someone has called him, the prototype Renaissance Man, a gifted man of his time (14th-15th centuries)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, when we're driving on a vacation, often we get those talk radio stations and I'm not so much bothered at what they are saying, it's the tone of voice that they say it in--to me at least their tone of voice drowns out my receptivity of their message. I have the same problem with some of my friends on Facebook who are constantly posting these things for a "cause"--too much of that and their tone of voice blocks my paying very much attention to what they are trying to say.
But I don't believe in censorship so just keep allowing it and "scroll down" or, if in the car, daydream and enjoy watching the scenery with the Talk Radio as background noise.
S.H. in MI