Friday, December 07, 2012

Winning Words 12/7/12
“May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.”  (Irish Blessing)  I remember going to Toronto, sitting in the 4th row, and seeing “Cats.”  The signature song from that show is, “Memory.”  Such beautiful music!  What causes a baby to start remembering, and why do some people begin to forget?  Even though I can’t explain it, memory is one of God’s great gifts.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WALMART REV:  Precious memories  How they linger   How they ever flood my soul  When, the stillness of the midnight   Precious sacred scenes unfold  
May your day be filled with heavenly splendor////FROM JACK:  I remember that song.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Thankfully, God remembers our petition to "be remembered in His kingdom", while forgetting the sins that would otherwise keep us from Him. That's Mercy! Loving one another seems to involve similar "memories" of our own.////FROM JACK:  Your response causes me to wonder...Is memory a human condition?  When the Bible speaks about God remembering, is that putting a concept into terms that a human can understand?

 FROM TRIHARDER:  I often wondered what was going through my poor mother's mind when she was suffering from dementia.  Dreams?  Anything?  I hoped it was the former and that they were pleasant. ////FROM JACK:  There's so much about the mind that we don't understand, but, just like with all problems, there's an answer somewhere.  That's why some people say, "When I get to heaven, I have a lot of questions to ask G-d about."

FROM THE OPTIMIST SANTA:  Sometimes memories need to be rekindled.  For example, near the end of every sabbath (Shabbat) service (Friday nights and Saturday mornings) and during many others such as Yom Kippur, the rabbis recite a list of those members of the community (not necessarily Jewish - for example Officer Pat O'Rourke was mentioned) who have died during the last 30 days and another list who's deaths fell during the anniversary week of the service.  Unfortunately, the lists are getting longer and longer; and, in fact, while the lists are printed in the service bulletin, only names of relatives in attendance are read aloud during the service.////FROM JACK:  You will have a chance, on Saturday, to make some memories for the kids who come to talk with you.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  It's in your memory someplace: you just have to remember where you tucked it.////FROM JACK:  I've that every word and every experience that has occurred in your life is tucked away in your (and God's) memory bank.////PFC:  Problem is: sometimes we forget the combination. Do you remember your high school locker combination? My rifle number in the Corps was 1027186 .////JACK:  I can't remember my Social Security number, but my checks keep coming.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is the way I remember-the good memories.  Life is too short to dwell on the not-so-good ones.  By the way saw Cats in Tampa, and that song was the happiest one in the entire production in my opinion.////FROM JACK:  I read T.S. Eliot's "Cats" book before going to the show..  I agree that Memory is a great song.////SHIRL: We are going to Epcot and to Disney this weekend.  Epcot always has a beautiful Christmas program presented by churches around the country.  Last weekend we went to Bush Gardens here in Tampa, and they have a new religious display, too.  Last Sunday I was the driver for two  grandsons here in Tampa, and we went to their church,. St.Mark's, which has the largest advent wreath in the middle of the center aisle which is the largest I have ever seen.  The priest had all of the December birthday people come to the front and we all sang Happy Birthday to them.  Then he had all of the couples with December anniversaries come to the front and to renew their vows and kiss.  That  was the first time I had ever seen this, but my daughter says they do that every month.////JACK:  That's one way to bring to mind an anniversary that a husband might have forgotten.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  I love this one….never heard it before and I’m Irish…thanks for sharing. ////FROM JACK: Maybe you've heard it, but just don't remember it.  I have that problem sometimes.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What wonderful "Winning Words"!  What insightful thoughts to go along with the words!  God has put all of these things together for us and we can wonderful and we will find out how it all works one day.  In the meantime, we remember the good times and let the painful ones slip away from us.  Memory is one of God's best and most wonderful gifts!////FROM JACK:  In the song, "Memory,"  I wonder if it's the lyric or the tune that makes it a memorable song?

 'MEMORY" FROM CATS  (Andrew Lloyd Webber)
Daylight
See the dew on the sunflower
And a rose that is fading
Roses whither away
Like the sunflower
I yearn to turn my face to the dawn
I am waiting for the day . . .

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every streetlamp
Seems to beat a fatalistic warning
Someone mutters
And the streetlamp gutters
And soon it will be morning

Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I musn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale cold smell of morning
The streetlamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me
It's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me
You'll understand what happiness is

Look
A new day has begun

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Thankfully, God remembers our petition to "be remembered in His kingdom", while forgetting the sins that would otherwise keep us from Him. That's Mercy! Loving one another seems to involve similar "memories" of our own.