Thursday, December 13, 2012

Winning Words 12/13/12
“The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much.”  (William Hazlitt)  This quote sounds like the Stoic, Epictetus.  “The Art of Living” is a book by Sharon Lebell which puts 93 instructions of Epictetus into everyday language.  A review says, “She makes him sound like the delightful man next door.”  Her book tries to show how E’s philosophy can help the reader face the ups and downs of life.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Life wouldn't be such a torment if we weren't blessed with the gift of intellectual thought. We wouldn't need to think about how to live...we just would. Freedom and Will have brought us interesting combinations of operation. Eating the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil has been one of the more interesting and long-lasting one!////FROM JACK:  Although everyone has a mind, not all minds have the same capacity for intellectual thought, or so it seems.  The individual mind can make life a heaven or hell or something in between.////RAY:  To your reply: and this is likely where the phrase, "ignorance is bliss" comes from. Solomon noted that Wisdom is torment", and which I believe comes from knowledge and the understanding of knowledge...because understanding doesn't necessarily follow knowledge. It is tormenting to witness the "bliss" of ignorance and know the fruit which it will soon bear! ////JACK:  What makes one mind superior to another?  Who is the judge of that?////RAY:  "how well it works" is a determining factor. There is no question that some are "superior" or function more clearly than others. One need not judge it, but one better be aware of it! Accepting is much different than condoning. Accepting ignorance is to be aware enough to avoid it. Foolishness is never worthy of condoning. Personally, I abhor it. I'll let God judge it!////JACK:  The longer I live, the more I let God be the judge.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I can relate to those Winning Words...but I would like to enjoy a little more and endure a little less.////FROM JACK:  I have benefited from the words of Paul (Romans 8:18)  "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."////RI:  Yeah...those are reassuring words.  Now that you provided them to me I remember having read them before and taken solace in them.////JACK:  The word, solace, reminds me of the the last line of the hymn, What a Friend..."In his arms he'll take and shield thee.  Thou wilt find a solace there."  So many sing "so-lace," instead of  "sol-lace."   

FROM WALMART REV:  Joined our daughter at a gathering of folk who had paid several hundreds of dollars for a series of teachings that would improve their outlook and skills in living more successful in life and business. The purpose of our invitation was to expose us to their influence on us to sign up for the next upcoming one. When approached I was happy to explain how much I appreciated several of the principles they projected and how  I've found the same in the Bible over these past 60 years. Suddenly the conversation was coming fast to a close.////FROM JACK:  Money can't always buy answers to life's basic questions.  Jesus said to the disciples, "Freely, you have received.  Freely, give."

 FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  Good morning, Jack. I think I was about 13 years old when I read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. I didn't know what he was about -- but my mother used to call me by that name from time to time, and the book was on a shelf at home. In retrospect, it seems to have had an effect.
Your quote today spurred this thought  Life is a lot easier to take once you realize you're not the only person having one.////FROM JACK:  In my philosophy studies I've read works by Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus, but I need to go back and do some re-reading.  Life is an ongoing learning experience.////MT:  Life's troubles are a lot easier to take, when you remember you're not the only person having them.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I have worked at enjoying a great deal and enduring a lot.....why scrimp on the front end of the equation?////FROM JACK:  I missed out on many extra-curricular activities in high school, because I chose "working."  We are what our choices have made us.  I enjoyed doing what I did.  As "Satch" said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "PRAYER PUSHES US THROUGH LIFE'S SLUMPS, PROPELS US OVER THE HUMPS, AND PULLS US OUT OF THE DUMPS.  PRAYER IS THE OOPH WE NEED TO GET THE ANSWERS  WE SEEK." (Max Lucado, from Max On LIfe).  If we are blessed, we enjoy very much as well as endure much!  Some have so much more to "endure" than others!   I often stand in awe of them!   Reading your blog, I did not know  that Rodin's sculpture pictured The Thinker looking down into writhing  men in hell! Again learned something new. Also need to get a book by Ziglar!!  I read  Edwards sermon on Heaven and Hell, which does paint a horrific picture, to my Sunday School class (35 "Srs".) and the consensus was that modern congregations would have walked out on him! More and more, I think we are content to let God be the Judge! I close with a quote from the 90 yr. old model for M.A.C. Costmetics, Iris Apfel, ""If you're lucky enough to get old, I think you should celebrate it!"  So, let's Enjoy much, and endure stoically!////FROM JACK:  Among the many Churchill quotes, I like this one.  "When you're going through hell, keep on going."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Life is filled with endurance tests isn't it?  But we are not of this life...which keeps many of us going strong.  We enjoy as much as we possibly can knowing full well the afterlife and perfect and this too shall pass away.////FROM JACK:  I once worked with a chaplain at Cook County Hospital in Chicago.  He would often visit at the bedside of sick "Skid Row" dwellers.  I still remember one of the Bible verses that he would quote.  "I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that shall be ours through Christ Jesus."

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: 
Pick yourself up...
Take a deep breath...
Dust yourself off
And start all over again.

Nothing's impossible, I have found
For when my chin is on the ground.
I pick myself up,
Dust myself off
And start all over again.

Don't lose your confidence
If you slip
Be grateful for a pleasant trip
And pick yourself up,
Dust yourself off
And start all over again.

Work like a soul inspired
Until the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired,
But you'll be a man, my son.

Will you remember the famous men
Who had to fall to rise again
They picked themselves up
Dust themselves off
And start'd all over again.

Work like a soul inspired
Till the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired,
But you'll be a man, my son.

Will you remember the famous men
Who had to fall to rise again?
So take a deep breath...
Pick yourself up...
Dust yourself off
And start all over again.
////FROM JACK:  Yes, I remember that song...and it's true.











1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Life wouldn't be such a torment if we weren't blessed with the gift of intellectual thought. We wouldn't need to think about how to live...we just would. Freedom and Will have brought us intersting combinations of operation. Eating the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil has been one of the more interesting and long-lasting one!