Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Winning Words 5/23/12
“Life is hard by the yard, but by the inch, it’s a cinch.” (Unknown) This truism is found in many sayings. “The longest journey begins with a single step…Don’t bite off more than you can chew.” Can you think of others? The thought behind these wise-words is that when we are faced with difficult issues, we can often solve them by simply breaking them up into smaller manageable problems. ;-) Jack

FROM SL IN TEXAS: Thank you for yet another appropriate reminder, I needed it!////FROM JACK: As the song goes, "On Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus."

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: One day at a time...////FROM JACK: You're right! I just sent that same advice to today's first WWs' responder.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I think the same attitude is implied in the words "A stitch in time saves nine."////FROM JACK: Your quote is attributed to a reverend..Thomas Fuller who lived in the 18th century. It might be even older than that, but who knows, and who cares?

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: A friend's mom, a psychiatrist, can knit the most colorful & intricate Fair Isle sweaters. She uses her "Gestalt of Knitting" theory - she concentrates on only the row she is knitting.////FROM JACK: Your comment led me to read about knitting...which I ordinarily wouldn't do. I had never heard of Fair Isle. Now, I know where it is. I also can see why a psychiatrist would be interested in Gestalt knitting.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Interesting...if I had to guess about the source I would have said Ben Franklin. ////FROM JACK: You could have guessed, A. Lincoln, Mark Twain or Anon.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: Life is a puzzle: put it together one piece at a time.////FROM JACK: 500 piece jigsaws are what I like. The big ones with many pieces are too frustrating. I guess that's the way it is with some of life's puzzles.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: If you can't lift the bucket, empty it one teaspoon at a time.////FROM JACK: What's in the bucket, or doesn't that matter?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: "Don't let what you CANNOT do interfere with what you CAN do". John Wooden. You have to start somewhere! I love this quote: You can deal with almost anything in small increments, day by day!////FROM JACK: The Parable of the Sower and Seed is one of my favorites.

FROM PASTOR PAUL: when moving a stack of lumber, take just one board at a time. or as Ronald Reagan like to say, "hard work never killed anyone but why take the chance?"

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: A new twist in my life is that I close each day with this prayer: "Well, dear Lord, if you have something for me to do, then wake me up in the morning. And if not, I am ready to go home." Each day has become an adventure as I expect and look for the special reason why I was given another day. And the adventures are there.////FROM JACK: You've turned your life into a "one day at a time" experience. That's all that any of have. When we realize that...it's a cinch.


No comments: