Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Winning Words 9/27/11
“Anyone know what a scotoma is?” (Kirk Gibson) Baseball manager Gibson began a team meeting with that question. “A scotoma is a blind spot. I can’t see everything. I’m depending on you to let me know what I miss seeing.” We are better off in this world with friends who can help us to see what we’re missing. I think that the Diamondbacks are a better team because they know what a scotoma is. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Your WW are right on spot. Dealing with my scotomas is one reason why I am so diligent at attending Bible studies, prayer evenings and worship. In fact, already this morning a scomata was being dealt with because last night at Bible study, as we studied the lectionary for next Sunday, for some reason we got to conversing about people in desperate situations, particularly financial. Over the years, I have bumped into quite a few people who have needed family assistance, food pantries, so forth coming in and out of the church, in the community, etc., and have seen the difficulties in being plain and honest and not manipulative in getting needs met. Money is needed and given for one thing and then goes to another thing and so forth and of course we all agreed that the money is given with no strings attached, trust and dignity being the most important thing but I seem to over-identity with these people's situations.////FROM JACK: Having empathy isn't a scotoma. It's something to be cherished.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My daughter and I just saw the baseball movie Moneyball with Brad Pitt today (Interesting and entertaining, but I wanted Billy Beane to win the World Series!!) I didn't know this term, but we all have one blind spot I'm sure, and we DO need others for perspective sometimes. Enjoyed the WW today! As Always!////FROM JACK: I like what Billy Beane did when he didn't have the money to match the millions of the other teams.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: A lot depends on the size of the scotoma. I know some people who have 20/20 vision and are totally blind.////FROM JACK: In Mark 8, Jesus says to the disciples: "You have eyes, but do not see. You have ears, but do not hear."

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: Jack, interesting . . . right now we’re pulling for the Brewers . . . and I hope they know what a scotoma is! We are one game up on the Diamondbacks, with two games to play. We’re dealing with the Pirates, while the Diamondbacks are playing the Dodgers. May the best team win!////FROM JACK: I don't know about that "best team" business. I don't care who wins, as long as it's the Tigers.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Knowing that won't help them win////FROM JACK: Maybe not, but, at least, their vocabulary (and yours) will be increased by one word.



No comments: