Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Winning Words 8/3/11
“There’s enough for everyone’s need, but not for everyone’s greed.” (Gandhi) Gandhi, besides practicing non-violence, also practiced voluntary poverty, believing that we should only possess what we need. After his assassination, the number of his earthly possessions could be counted on two hands. They included a prayer book, two porcelain monkeys and a spittoon. What if we only wanted what we needed? ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: It would be so great if everyone had what they needed, especially the people of Somalia. Thanks for helping us to think of Gandhi today and reflect on what he stood for, wondering if I can aim for just a little bit of his values and integrity and love of people and seeking more justice in this conflict-filled old world. It was interesting to see he had a spittoon. Was that because he was a smoker or just a polite spitter?//// FROM JACK: This world's basic conflict...the haves versus the have-nots.

FROM SL IN TEXAS: I will give you a big Amen on this one! Perhaps there would be enough for everyone on this planet! What a concept!////FROM JACK: "Enough" of what?

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Gandhi's words ring so true. We could all do a little self-evaluation in that regard. In our home we are gradually dispensing with unnecessary items, things we don't need and never did need, evidence of our own greed. Other words come to mind, words which were penned in a different context, but now are used so frequently that they've almost become a cliche..."Less is More!"////FROM JACK: Gandhi was assassinated. Jesus was crucified. "Kill the messenger!"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: If we had what we really needed, we would all possess food, water and shelter. We should be deeply grateful God doesn't just grant what we need. We all have way more than we need but probably still want more. We are grateful!////FROM JACK: If we have all we need, why do we need to seek for more? The answer is sociological, psychological, philosophical and theological.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: It can be a hard thing to untangle, but I'm guessing my house would be a lot less messy if I did!////FROM JACK: Where will you put your spittoon?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is a very good thought and life is simplified that way. Think about the pioneers who went west in our country in the old days. They certainly could not take much with them of their worldly possessions. When our ancestors came from the old country, most brought very few possessions. I still have two of the trunks that crossed the Atlantic with my grandparents from Sweden. Mother kept them in the attic. At the museum in Sanford, Florida there are several trunks just like theirs By the way, did you know that Sanford was a Belgian who owned some orange groves and hired the Swedish immigrants to pick until a big freeze killed everything?////FROM JACK: If you watch Antiques Roadshow, you notice that people are always bringing in stuff that their ancestors accumulated. My mother never kept many things. If it had no use, a favorite expression of hers was, "Ditch it!"

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Here I thought he died with only his glasses and a library card!////FROM JACK: I only listed four things. He also left a mat, his glasses and two pair of sandals that he had made. No library card, that I know of.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: If we only wanted what we needed, we would be pretty dull people. The thing is not to not have wants but to learn to control the covetousness....you can't get rid of it but it can be controlled. ////FROM JACK: If I were to sit down for conversation with Gandhi, I don't think that I'd find him to be dull. However, I think that he might have some reservations about me.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I think the problem might be that everything we want, we think we need. //// FROM JACK:

When God passed out brains,
I thought he said trains,
And I missed mine.

When God passed out looks,
I thought he said books
And didn’t want any.

When God passed out ears,
I thought he said beers
Ands asked for two long ones.

When God passed out legs,
I thought he said kegs
And asked for two fat ones.

When God passed out noses,
I thought he said roses
And asked for a big red one.

When God passed out heads,
I thought he said beds
And asked for a big soft one.

When God passed out hips,
I thought he said lips
And asked for two large round ones.
God I am a mess.
MORE FROM PFC:
When God passed out hands
I thought He said hams
And I said give me two big fat ones.

When God passed out chins
I thought He said pins
And I said Give me a long sharp one.

FROM THE MEDDIA IN IOWA: If that were true we would have 90% unemployment rather then 14%//// FROM JACK: That raises the philosophical question, "What is the purpose of employment?" Which raises another question in my mind: "Should zero unemployment be the goal?" Thanks for causing me to wonder.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I have another saying by Ghandi posted on my wall, under a picture of a Beach chair, sandy Beach and Ocean scene, "There is more to life than increasing its speed." His biography was a really interesting read! J.L.Kraft, quoted this saying in an address at Green Lake, WI. I was quite taken with it, as it was easy to remember. My husband's quote, posted on the fridge, "WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, AND YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE WHAT YOU WANT"...has helped me control my materialistic urges, somewhat! In our land of plenty, it is a continual battle.////FROM JACK: Gandhi would have a difficult time living in Petersburg, and you probably wouldn't do very well walking in his sandals. We learn from one another, because none of us has all of the answers.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be so great if everyone had what they needed, especially the people of Somalia. Thanks for helping us to think of Gandhi today and reflect on what he stood for, wondering if I can aim for just a little bit of his values and integrity and love of people and seeking more justice in this conflict-filled old world. It was interesting to see he had a spittoon. Was that because he was a smoker or just a polite spitter?
S.H. in MI