Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Winning Words 6/28/11
“You can go to the cemetery and see where Babe Ruth is buried.” (Sparky Anderson) My mother-in-law sometimes used the expression, “Here today; gone tomorrow.” It’s that way with sports’ heroes, with indispensable leaders, with each one of us. Do you have your plot picked out? The Babe is buried in New York’s Gate of Heaven Cemetery, with no mention of his home runs on the stone. ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: wonder if Lizzy Borden's "score" is on her tombstone. Let's all go see.////FROM JACK: Her gravesite is in Massachusetts and simply reads, LIZZIE. While the poem says that she murdered her parents, all evidence was circumstantial, and she was acquitted. Therefore, no number on the tombstone. The poem has it all wrong, including the number of blows.

FROM TL IN HOUSTON: Jack, thanks for the plug! I continue to enjoy your WWs each day, now in Houston. Look me up when you are here. I miss WB and familiar surroundings. Keep inspiring us all!////FROM JACK: It's interesting that Sparky refers to Babe Ruth's burial, but wanted no kind of funeral service for himself.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: As a kid, I listened on the radio to his funeral....he was tough on the Cubs but I adored the memory of Babe Ruth....////FROM JACK: I was listening to Don Elson broadcasting the Cubs game. BTW, did you know that the Cubs' broadcaster, Bert Wilson, was named Bert Puckett when he was broadcasting games in the Tri-Cities?

FROM MT IN PHILADELPHIA: I hadn't thought of Sparky for a long, long time -- but I do remember the great feeling that came when he led the Tigers to the world series in '84. Even from way over here in Philly, it's fun to see the Tigers playing so well these days. I was also reminded of a related idea someone once said to me (can't remember who, or whether it was a quote or an 'original', but it stuck with me: 'If you want to know if someone really is a good person, watch how they treat the people they don't need to impress.'////FROM JACK: I'll never forget the '84 season. From the beginning until the end, the Tigers were always in first place. Apart from that, they were led by a manger who was a man of principle. He got into trouble with the Tigers management over the issue of principle. Management "blinked" last Sunday.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Strange Winning Words. We don't have plots. We still have a lot of plot left in our lives, at least I pray we do. It's probably a good thing to think about though as we never know. I think the name of the cemetery; "Gate of Heaven" is so beautiful. A lot of our family, are buried in Elmwood in Mt. Clemens. It's one of the most beautiful cemeteries I have been in. My husband's family is buried in Cadillac, MI, another beautiful place.////FROM JACK: My grandfather immigrated from Sweden. He didn't go back to be buried in the homeland, but simply started his own family plot here in America.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: My Mother, Father, Aunt and Uncle are buried at Gate of Heaven. It is a huge place, very New York,i.e. crowded. My husband and I are going to Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly. Mac served in World War II and Korea. We married while he was on leave during Korean War. April, 2010. thirteen family members went to Washington. D.C. to take Mac to all the war memorials. It was a special time of thoughtfulness and respect. People did not talk about these wars for years. Since the war in Middle East, people thank the veterans for their service. Our neighbor saw some of our older friends coming to the house two months ago. Neighbor, about fifty, asked Mac, if any of them were veterans. Four are and the neighbor asked Mac to thank them for their service. When Mac told this at dinner, we all were tearful. Not for long! They still laugh and enjoy being with friends.////FROM JACK: I'm glad that we have a military cemetery in our area. It's interesting to learn that Babe Ruth is buried among your relatives.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I have it. It's with Ilene. The funeral is paid for. cremation.////FROM JACK: Do you have funeral instructions written out, too?

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I've read you can have green burials. For years and years now I've been remembering that I will return to dust and would kind of like to do that. Also I kind of think I'd like to be buried in a park where millions of people might wander through. When I was growing up people met at the cemetery to visit and remember. My husband and I have been such vagabonds that those times are just memories but perhaps it's still possible for me to be buried where people come to visit and remember also it's a burial ground. Wherever it is, wish just that nature could sprout up from my composting body. A natural cycle and not unnatural. Enjoying Sparky's WW and your take off on them.////FROM JACK: Many churches used to have burial grounds next to them. I once served a country church where that was the case. The pall bearers simply carried the casket out the door and followed me over to the cemetery. The mourners processed after them. No hearse and no procession of cars. On Sundays, after church, if people wanted to walk through the cemetery, they could easily do it....and remember.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: Yes, we have our ‘plot’ . . . along with a large stone with two holes bored in, for our cremains. . at West Lawn Memorial Park in Racine.////FROM JACK: When I conduct a funeral service, I try to make it personal, because it is personal to the family and friends. I try to work the personal into the religious meaning of death and the hope of new life. I would wish the same for my loved ones and me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: "Your 15 minutes of Fame" phrase didn't originate for nothing...that's about right, isn't it? You are unusual if your "renown" lasts for more than one generation! My plot will be in Oakland cemetery, Petersburg, beside my husband of 51 yrs, and next to My twin sister Jan and her husband, Hal Bolm. Also keeping company with Abe Lincoln's first love, Anne Rutledge, the poet Vachel Lindsey, and his nephew, bandleader Mitch Miller! It is beautiful in the Fall, with many colorful trees! But after our children go, and possibly (?) our grandchildren, who will know or care?! It is fairly humbling to contemplate! I, myself, was never one to visit cemeteries, but often think of my departed loved ones...////FROM JACK: My uncle used to be a cemetery caretaker, and, as a youngster, my dog and I would go with him some days and play among the stones. I liked to read what was written on them. I still do. Next to the plot that we have is a stone in the shape of a heart, with the words, "I'm still dancing in heaven."////MORE FROM OAKS: Ha! Interesting. Our stone has our names, birth and death dates (not mine, of course...) our marriage date,and intertwining rings and lake scene with fishing boat and loons (Bill loved loons) and fir trees. Our place in Northern WI meant so much to us for 34 yrs, fishing, water skiing, swimming, family, games and relaxation time. The kids picked the scene they thought appropriate. It wasn't a Bible and Cross...but also not a football, baseball or golf club...ha! I like it.////FROM JACK: What an interesting "stone." Especially interesting, because your children had a part in its design. They're the ones who will come....and remember. This reminds me of something that I recall from the writings of one of my favorite authors. Carl Sandburg tells of a man who had a big boulder in his back yard. He called it, Remembrance Rock. There were times when he would sit by that rock and just remember.
He travelled to the battlefield in France where his son had been killed during WW 1 and brought back some soil from that place and placed it by Remembrance Rock. He went to Plymouth Rock, to Valley Forge, and to Gettysburg, and brought back some soil from each place to put it along side his Remembrance Rock. There were times when he would sit by the rock and just remember. Coming to this cemetery is sort of a Remembrance Rock for us. We remember the family members who are buried here and who are buried elsewhere. We think about our loved ones who are no longer with us in person, but who continue to be with us in spirit. We think about them, and remember, and give thanks.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read you can have green burials. For years and years now I've been remembering that I will return to dust and would kind of like to do that. Also I kind of think I'd like to be buried in a park where millions of people might wander through. When I was growing up people met at the cemetary to visit and remember. My husband and I have been such vagabonds that those times are just memories but perhaps it's still possible for me to be buried where people come to visit and remember also it's a burial ground. Wherever it is, wish just that nature could sprout up from my composting body. A natural cycle and not unnatural. Enjoying Sparky's WW and your take off on them.
S.H. in MI