Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winning Words 1/12/11
“A will finds a way.” (Orison Swett Marden) This reminds me of a Robert Schuller saying about facing a problem which seems like a mountain. “I will not quit until I go through it, tunnel under it, climb over it, or turn it into a gold-mine.” A daunting problem can sometimes turn into a hidden opportunity. Dr. Marden developed this kind of positive thinking (a will finds a way) over a century ago. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: If that's the case, there is no need for GRACE.... FROM JACK: Grace is in the eye of the beholder. God has "grace" for scholars. And even people who can't explain "grace" can be recipients of it.
MORE FROM JS: Grace is a gift of God and has nothing to do with the eye of the beholder....if that is the case, then the Grace is not real...it depends upon the eye of the beholder....the cross is nothing and nothing real happened there....I don't buy that for a second.... FROM JACK: I agree on Grace as a gift; I'm only saying that because it's God's gift, it can be given to someone who might not understand the concept. It's validity is not based on a theological understanding of it.

FROM PRCWR IN B'MORE: ..........I'm glad that you qualified it with "sometimes" because some problems are unresolvable and the better course is to back off from them.......... FROM JACK: Sometimes we give up without even trying. Gumption is a good word.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: That was interesting--that grace is in the eye of the beholder. We just had a discussion about annointing experiences in our Bible study last Monday. When a person feels like he/she has had an annointing experience from God is it likely people will believe or disbelieve it? And does it matter? You've given me more to ruminate about this morning again. FROM JACK: At one ELCA church that I know of, after receiving communion, the people who want to, can go off to the side to be anointed with oil. I should ask for the reasoning of this, although I think that I know.

FROM MOLINER CF: Now give us the formula for the way to find the will. FROM JACK: Successful sales people have a will. Those with a "won't" usually don't make their quotas. MORE FROM CF: Thanks, Zig. I appreciate your willingness to share.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My prayer is we all have the will to use the Grace given us. FROM JACK: Does our gift of Free Will negate that prayer? Grace....take it or leave it. The choice is ours to make. MORE FROM JUDY: Not at all. We have free will and that is my prayer...that we will recognize and use God's wonderful Grace. But you are correct...the choice ours to make. My prayer is will use it!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Marden is one of my favorite dead authors, he did not write his first book until he was 46 in 1850. He was "America's Samuel Smiles" eventually writing more than 70 books. He founded Success Magazine in 1902 and died in 1924. I made contact with one of his great, great, grandaughters when I was writing my book. Today he would be most comparable to Brian Tracy. A short Bio of Marden is here: http://www.gooddebt.com/marden/ FROM JACK: All of us really stand on the shoulders of giants. I'm not ashamed to admit that I borrow ideas. The shame is in not giving credit where it's due

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Good saying to keep in mind...short and succinct! I have a key chain from the Crystal Cathedral with Schuller's saying, "Tough Times don't last: Tough people do." Also succinct. Isn't Orison an unusual name? Maybe not, in the last century! I'd never heard it, or of him, but am sure he must have been a wise and thought-provoking man. Onward and upward with our WILLS! And the best WAY! FROM JACK: The idea of Positive Thinking is nothing new. It existed even before Orison (from French/Latin words for, prayer). Even in the Bible: "I believe; help my unbelief."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was interesting--that grace is in the eye of the beholder. We just had a discussion about annointing experiences in our Bible study last Monday. When a person feels like he/she has had an annointing experience from God is it likely people will believe or disbelieve it? And does it matter? You've given me more to ruminate about this morning again.
S.H. in MI