Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Winning Words 3/31/10
“You git what you git, so don’t throw a fit.” (Unknown) Someone recently passed this on to me, saying that it came from an older relative. I think that the advice was to take life as it comes. People respond to the cards that are dealt to them in a variety of ways. Stoicism is a word that describes some responses. ;-) Jack

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Maybe with a little more effort, one will "git" a bettter outcome. Many people never outgrow their temper tantrums when things don't go their way,... many of my students throw a fit for the same reason over and over. I wonder, .. will they mature and learn a better response, or will they carry this
behavior/ response to adulthood?... Stoicism... for many life is their stage... FROM JACK: There are reasons for fit-throwing...some voluntary, and some not. How we react to certain situations depends, in large part, to a personal attitude. I'm glad that you are calm and peaceful, like I am.

FROM PRJS OF MICHIGAN: You really are a Stoic, aren't you? The Seneca of the ELCA!!! FROM JACK: I resemble that remark.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Jack, you certainly put out some unusual quotes. FROM JACK: Wait until you read tomorrow's.

FROM MOLINER CF: Sounds kind of defeatist to me. FROM JACK: REALITY is the key work on TV these days. Maybe it fits today's WWs, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY recovering from knee surgery): I just got home from physical therapy at Henry Ford. All I can say is OUCH. LOL It was painful but I had the nicest people and the place was wonderful. I
look forward to graduation day! It was intense, but nothing we (as you know personally) can't get through. "You git what you git, so don't throw a fit....and I aim to git better!" FROM JACK: Done with outpatient therapy today. Now, it depends on what I do at home.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: The important thing is not what you "git". The important thing is how you respond. FROM JACK: The Winning Words say that throwing a "fit" is not a proper response.

FROM NFC IN ILLINOIS: We were just at a funeral where they quoted the deceased as saying, "You git what you git, so don't throw a fit." What a coincidence that you had that in your winning words.

FROM AC IN MICHIGAN: It was funny to read this quotation, because it was a saying my kids learned in pre-school. It was almost like a motto of theirs for when they passed out anything to all the kids.




No comments: