Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winning Words 2/19/09
“The world is not yet exhausted; let me see something tomorrow which I never saw before.”
(Samuel Johnson) Johnson lived in England three centuries ago. Think of what would amaze him in the world today. Even my grandparents would be amazed. Can you remember seeing something for the first time? The Grand Canyon comes to mind for me. ;-) Jack

FROM E.M. IN MI: My child being born is what I think of - we had a homebirth (it was planned)and I was right there for it. What a miracle!

FROM MOLINER G.S.: seeing my mom's doctor spank me as i came out of the womb

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I remember seeing my baby girl for the first time....that was amazing to me

FROM INDY GENIE: New York City /Statue of Liberty from an airplane/17 years old......still takes my breath away! FROM JACK: That's a good one. I remember climbing inside of the Statue. When I looked out, maybe that was you flying in the airplane overhead. FROM GENIE: it might have been me.....did it look like i was singing "give my regards to broadway"? FROM JACK: Not only did it look like it, I could hear it.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: My first flight in a jet plane taking off, watching the ground recede below. To this day, every time I take a flight, I have the same exciting experience as the plane races down the runway and leaves the earth below. FROM JACK: Flying excites me, too. I once remember flying in a glider. The swooping (almost like a bird) was like no other feeling I've ever experienced. It caused me to reach for The Bag and say to the pilot, "I think it's time to land." FROM R.I.: I know the feeling. Some years ago a friend who had taken up flying insisted I go for a short flight with him. He leased a single engine two-seater that, when up in the sky, felt like one of those little orange balls bobbing on top of a vertical jet of air. It only took about 15 minutes for me to feel my already eaten lunch begin to stir. He set the plane down soon enough that I didn't have "a George H. W. Bush-in-Japan" moment.

FROM B.M. IN MI: I asked my grandfather before he died in 1962 (age 84) what had amazed him most in his lifetime. He said, "airplanes, and that the average person could fly". We, of course, take things for granted which were unimaginable to previous generations. For me, on a personal level, watching the birth of our youngest daughter was more than an incredible experiance. On a different level, Niagara Falls and the Alps are two of many amazing natural wonders which I've seen. I do feel that there is something new to see or do every day. FROM JACK: You're right. There's something new every day. What will iy be today?

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: Let me tell you about my experience with something new yesterday. Years ago we had visited the Seminole Village reservation on the other side of Tampa with a chickee, the women demonstrating their crafts, a building with animals like alligators,etc, a burial ground. Well. yesterday since my periodontist is on that side of Tampa, I decided to revisit. Now it is the Hard Rock Hotel, etc. After entering the building, I asked someone who looked official where the cultural part of the operation was. She said at the very end of the building. So, after walking through hundreds of slot machines and tables and getting lots of exercise, I found the Rainmaker. The Rainmaker is a tiny store with a few native crafts, like woven bags. While talking to the salesclerk, she said that some were from the Seminoles and some were from the Southwest Indians. The other phenomenen was all of the people smoking inside and outside the building. Cigarettes are sold taxfree on the reservations. The place was crowded. FROM JACK: Cough, cough!

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: the ground from the sky. i love to fly...especially in small planes and in my dreams. FROM JACK: I remember seeing the Broadway musical, Will Rogers' follies. One of the great songs was, "Let's go flying!" Do you know it?

FROM A.J. IN MI: My parents would be amazed! My father, a small town banker would be absolutely apalled at the goings on in this country right now;he was such a good and honorable man!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Here's something you'll see tomorrow that you've never seen before. A response from me without typos. FROM JACK: Catch me; I'm fainting.

FROM C.L. IN CA: Wow that is so true, I recall seeing the Great Wall of China, the Kremlin, the Alps, the Vatican just so many things I have been blessed to see. Thanks for the memories

FROM FOXY ROXY: Niagara Falls comes to mind for me

FROM CJL IN OH: Most of the places I've travelled have one or more things I've seen for the "first" time.
To remind me, I've got a bunch of books with pictures.
That helps! Personally, I'm on overload!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The oceans, either side of the country.
man/woman inventions - the cell phone. It's amazing you can be driving cross country to visit the relatives and call them from your car to tell them you are getting close. Kids can easily call from the airport while they are in the waiting part. Just amazing. The computer. Your blog. Just amazing, WW arriving every morning, your young-at-heart age still curious and enchanted with so many, many people's ideas and thoughts, still enthusiastic about seeing and transmitting so much wise thinking in this old world. Amazing, just amazing. Being able to see your picture again, that in itself is amazing. Without even being on a piece of paper, just popping up on this screen here, coming and going as the power comes on and goes off. Amazing. Just amazing.
My mind can hardly wrap itself around all this incredible stuff that is in our world.
God's Peace,
S.H. in MI