Monday, August 04, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/4/08
“Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.”
(Oscar Wilde) …and there’s the rub. Some of you may agree with me as to where the line is to be drawn; some of you may not. The saying goes this way: “I know what I like!” However, there is a word that applies to what I like…eclectic! That’s where I draw the line. ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I think each of us could establish a set of moral standards that we'd expect society to live by...standards to which we should aspire. Our frequent moral failures however, result from giving in to "desire" instead of sticking with to what we should aspire. There's a phrase regarding art..."Straight is the line of duty and curved is the line of beauty." Straight may be a safe choice...curves can often lead to trouble.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: “Most people are willing to draw a line, if they can use erasable ink.”

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: “Most people are willing to draw a line, if they can us erasable ink.” JACK'S RESPONSE: I've always leaned toward Situation Ethics.

MORE FROM PR J.S.: Leaned? You have fallen right over them!!!

FROM J.L. IN MI: There is or should be always a line....most step right over though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These Winning Words today hit something all of us have to do. Just spent a few minutes searching the webb for the meaning of eclectic. I've found it to be a painful process drawing the line because as others also are busy drawing their lines, group dynamics also come into play, different kinds of power come into play that affect each of us even not just relating to the moral issue at hand but instead relating to the relationships of power and authority. Guess we all have to do what's best, in our own opinion, and also feel so often a bit lonely in the process. Sometimes I am filled with doubt about this belief but I like to think that scripture will always and faithfully, if I approach it rightly through prayer and study, hold the key to combatting the loneliness, feeling in the company of others, in these things that I am concerned about with regard to morality.
Peace of the Lord, Pastor Freed.
Sharon