Friday, April 13, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 4/13/07
“Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes along.”
(Samuel Butler) I’ve never played a musical instrument, except the piano with one finger. Sometimes it seems as though life’s music is played that way, too. Is there an instrument that you can play? My granddaughter got a new tambourine. Now she can make a joyful noise to the Lord ;-) Jack


FROM J.S. IN MICHIGAN: For me, that is why we desperately need support systems....God, family, church, etc. Sometimes we even need the government when the other support systems aren't enough for us. That element seems to be lacking right now in the USA...it is why I am going to work for Barack Obama for President (Acutally, I think he is part Swedish...he seems to be part everything!)

TAKE TIME TO READ THE ARTICLE MENTIONED HERE: Can one of the nation's greatest musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? In this week's issue of the Washington Post Magazine Gene Weingarten sets out to discover if violinist Josh Bell -- and his Stradivarius -- could stop busy commuters in their tracks.


A.M. HAS THIS WAY OF LOOKING AT THE QUOTE: Sounds like on the job training, which equates to experience which yields a well rounded and capable human being, for most of the general population. How about that


Gene Weingarten is a staff writer and columnist for The Magazine.

FROM R.P. IN MICHIGAN: Yes I have played the violin and the viola!

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: I am not much of an instrument player either - when I was about nine years old my folks bought me a piano accordion - and I took lessons on it for a couple of months. At that time I was very thin - and the doctor my folks had for me concluded that I might have TB - he decided that holding the heavy accordion might be impairing my lungs and suggested that they stop having me play it. So, I learned enough to play the piano 'one hand', my right hand - with my left hand I was taught to play the base. That was the end of my instrument instruction. My sister was started on the piano, and became a good pianists - I wish I had been given the option to play the piano! So the only way I can make a joyful noise to the Lord is with my voice - which I still try to do . . . but with less success - given the demise of my singing voice.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: That was great. I sent it on to my grandaughters here in Geneva woods, they both play an instrument or two. Grandma and I are so proud of them. They are going to take over for us when we pass on. we know they will do a good job.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Freed,
I used to play the clarinet...all through school. But now I only play the stereo! Blessings, Judy