Tuesday, September 19, 2006

JACK'S WINNING WORDS 9/19/06
“We all need money, but there are degrees of desperation.”
(Anthony Burgess) On Sunday I saw a man on the side of the road holding a sign: Homeless and Hungry. The traffic was too congested for me to stop. How do we help those who are needy? ;-) Jack

FROM MARY L. IN ILLINOIS...
support your area homeless shelter and give-give-give of yourself and your $.
also-voting responsibly doesn't hurt either.

FROM L.P. IN A.A...
For some time I carried a package of peanut butter crackers and a tuna salad kit in my glove box for such occasions. I have not yet put such supplies in my new car, though its nearly a year old. But I overheard an interesting conversation on the bus the other day.
There an exit to the parking lot of Arborland Mall, that all east bound Washtenaw travellers must use, where an array of people stand with signs. It seems ever day there is a different person and sometimes they are different by the time of the day. Anyhow, as my bus to campus passed that spot a woman across the aisle commented scornfully to her seatmate about how shameful it is that people should beg there when there are 'so many' organizations that can provide service. This comment would have seemed offensive but her appearance and and knowledge of the matter led me to believe that she may have at some point used those services.
So, the question that has plagued me, even when passing peanutbutter crackers out my window, is how to get people a more substantial solution. In a recent church report the social concerns committee reported that the number of people using our food pantry for emergency groceries has risen from a few dozen per year to a few hundred in the last 5 years. So, to the crackers should I stick on a phone card, pamphlet of local organizations and some bus tokens?
I suppose it's better than what I've done lately... drive by.

M.L. CHIMES IN FROM ILL.: it is amazing how we can answer our own questios when we are prompted to ponder. thanks for the ww springboards!
maybe a list of area oganizations could be added to the glove box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we need to become sensitized to people's needs, as the WINNING WORDS are doing today and then we need to give privately when we can but also work together publicly to change society and make it a more just and fair second kingdom in which people can work and live. But first of all we need to share our thoughts and opinions and strive against apathy. Thanks, Pastor Freed, for these WINNING WORDS.