Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 8/7/18
“God is never late, but He sure misses a lot of opportunities to be early.”  (From Mike Watson)  Prayer is personal conversation with God, so I won’t give you a right or wrong way to do it.  For me, I just say what’s on my mind and what I’d like to have happen…closing with, “Thy will be done.”  Sometimes, Thy will is My will and sometimes, not.  My faith lets me live with that.  There’s a hymn: “My God and I talk as good friends do.”  That’s prayer!   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:What do you think of that Bill Hybels business?===JACK:  I've lived long enough and "seen" enough stuff,,,so that nothing surprises me anymore.  There are higher expectations with regard to preachers and Presidents...but as we used to say at the beginning of the Augustana church service..."We poor miserable sinners come unto thee, confessing..."  We all have sinned and fallen short.  I'm reminded of the old deacon who prayed:  "O God, forgive my "falling shorts."

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  this one was almost "profound" today, Jack:):)   thanks!===JACK:  Theologically (and in the minds of many), Jesus is the personification God...so, I give some slack to those who like the song, "In the Garden."===PAUL:  when the LBW first came out,  i noticed that almost all of the hymns from previous hymnals that spoke of a very personal, one to one relationship with God/Jesus were deleted.  almost all hymns had a more corporate theme.  i think this was a mistake.  we need both dimensions of our faith expressed in our hymnody.   that is why With One Voice became so popular because of hymns like Thy Holy Wings and Great is thy Faithfulness, etc. ===JACK:  I don't foresee a time when another official hymnal will be printed.  We've grown accustomed to new ways of worship, new songs and old favorites, depending on the particular worshipping community...and the whims of the pastor or worship and music committee.  Personally, I like the new way, although I know of others who would like to go back to the old way.

FROM SUEBARTH:  AMEN===JACK::  Since God is beyond our complete understanding, it's OK to have questions.  "We'll understand it all, by and by."

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  What a timely message for me.  I’m working on a lesson on prayer for our circle meeting this month using the Gather magazine.  After trying to combine the summer Bible study lessons in this magazine, I came to the conclusion that the author was making it too complicated to pray.  If we get all caught up in the ‘politically correct’ way to pray or why we should pray, we’ve forgotten what we want to pray about.  I did find the words for this hymn online and will use it next week.  I do enjoy my conversations with God – at all times of the day and sometimes in the middle of the night. Thank you!===JACK:  I would sometimes put an empty chair in front of confirmation students and ask them to write down their words to Jesus as though he were sitting in that chair.  You might try that sometime with your "circle."  ...meeting Jesus face to face!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We've all had that thought at one time or another, haven't we?  I'm with you; I have running conversations with God throughout the day! Especially since I've lived alone...and of course some times our prayers are not answered in the way we so wish, and our faith accepts that God knows best. (Often that becomes apparent later on!)  The concept of timelessness is so difficult here on  Earth where we are so controlled by "time", but in eternity what is "early" and what is "late"??!===JACK:  Among other things, I admired the way you have "walked through the valley" on more than one occasion without prayers being answered in the way you would want.  Yet, you have learned also to pray, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thy will be done."  Later next week I plan to have some Winning Words relating to this.  Even those who comfort others need comfort, also.







No comments: