Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/25/18
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”  (Aesop)  Aesop was a storyteller who lived about 2500 years ago.  Do you remember his fable about the boy who cried wolf or the tortoise and the hare?  Today’s quote is from the lion and the mouse.  Aesop’s fables were meant to teach morals to children.  How were morals taught to you?  I saw a movie recently, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” the story of Mr. Rogers.  He was a kind of modern Aesop.   ;-)  Jack

FROM INDY GENIE:   I saw “Won’t You Be My Neighbor”, too. So good.   In some ways, I think the smaller acts of kindness are what keeps the world going around:)  Like those smiles you're always talking about.)  ===JACK:  You remind me of Mary Tyler Moore..."who could turn the world on with her smile."===GENIE:  That made me smile:)   ===JACK:  Did you throw your hat into the air?  ===GENIE:  Not today but we used to do that at the “lillstrom tribe house”! We were self amusers:)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:     Aesop Fable are just wonderful!  What a brilliant story/moral writer.  My granddaughter Alyssa was talking about the boy who cried wolf just the other day.   We heard and learned those stories at a very early age.  When The grandkids were born they each received a Bible and a book of Aesop Fables.===JACK:  I have both the Bible and Aesop's Fables in my house, too.
===JUDY:  Makes me want to take out my Fables and read it.  Perhaps after my chores!

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Loved the film; I want my children to see it soon.  Kindness, thoughtfulness and the art of listening to others seem lost these days.===JACK:  Look around you (and in the mirror, too).  Kindness, thoughtfulness and the art of listening to others is till being practiced today.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I just watched “Daniel Tiger” with my granddaughter.  That is a cartoon version of Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood—same characters.===JACK:  Recently, I saw the "Won't You Be My Neighbor ?" movie.  The movie I saw previous to that one was in 1999..."Inspector Gadget," which I saw with my grandson, was seven at that time.  16 years between trips to the movies...WOW!
===GM:  Not many movies out there worth seeing.  I have not seen the new Documentary movie on Mr. R.  I want to do that.===JACK:  Yes, I would say that it's worth your while.===MG:  Just came from the Bend in the River Big Band concert at Como Park Pavilion.  Keith plays in that band.  They have been together since before 1990.  A bunch of Gustie Alums.  They always end with IN THE MOOD.  A fun night for sure===JACK:  Strike up the band!  Mary especially liked Glenn Miller's "In the Mood."  I think that I'll YouTube it right now!===GM:  The band does all kinds of stuff during the song.  At one point the T-bones play while lying on the floor.  (I think they are getting pretty old for that!  Ha!). The Saxophones march off the stage and walk around the audience playing.  It is all really fun.===JACK:  I wish that I could experience that...As it is, I'm still listening to Glenn on YouTube.  Such great music! 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I TAUGHT KINDERGARTEN JUST ONE YEAR, AND USED THE AESOP'S FABLES, AND HAD PICTURES TO COLOR ABOUT THE STORY, SOME OF THE PARENTS WEREN'T FAMILIAR WITH THE STORIES, WHICH FLOORED ME! THEY LOVED THEM,  TOO!  THE MOVIE, WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR, IS SUPER.  HE WAS AN ICON OF TENDER TRUTH TO THE LITTLE ONES! (I SOMETIMES FELT I WAS MORE INTERESTED THAN MY KIDS WERE. THEY TENDED TO GET DISTRACTED IF HE WENT TOO 'SLOW"===JACK:  If I were still in the business, I might create a series of sermons based on Aesop.  BTW, what's the difference between a fable and a parable?...===OAKS:  Good question!  Both are quite metaphorical, and teach a truth.  I would guess a parable would be for more mature reader (audience)...and that IS a guess !===JACK:  Each is told for a "teaching" purpose


No comments: