Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/18/18
“Too blessed to be stressed.”  (Paul Torn)  Do you think that God plays favorites?  The word “blessed” means to be favored by God.  Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity and others claim to be blessed by God.  Are some groups or individuals favored by God over others?  Why are the prayers of some answered and others are not?  Who are we to know the mind of God?  Simply, count your many blessings and know that God loves you.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND: I have just spent a week on Holy Island, Lindisfarne in Northumberland, on pilgrimage with 12 ladies from church and our leader Rev'd Doreen.  It is the most peaceful place on earth and a wonderful island to renew ones faith and come apart from the " maddening world "  It is where St Aidan and St Cuthbert first brought Christianity to the north of England.  Holy Island is visited daily by hundreds of people who have to leave  before high tide prevents them from driving off the island.  Peace then returns for the 105 who live there year round and the privilege few who are able to rent the cottages or live in the retreat houses.  There are only 2 children in the school at the moment and a teacher.  Please google it and also Rev'd Canon Kate  Tristram, 86, who has lived on the island for 40 years and still officiates.  She is truly remarkable, taking communion  8am wearing a heavy chasuble,  green,  for this we call ordinary time in the Church of England.  I wish you could visit!===JACK:  One of the definitions of holy is, blessed.  The Holy Island retreat seems like a perfect place to relieve the stress of living on the "mainland" and to be blessed by a special awareness of God's presence.  If the opportunity were mine, Holy Island would seem to be the perfect place to visit.  Thanks for describing it for me...and greetings to Doreen.

FROM TL:  Jack, your words are through the hands of God this morning.  They are a soothing comfort to Susan who sits with her sister today at the Mayo Clinic.   Thanks be to God through you! ===JACK:  Each morning as I click, "send," I wonder what difference (if any) the day's Winning Words will make.  Thanks for letting me know how it has impacted you and your family.  God is good!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Thanx, Jack. When I was in college I learned Matthew 6:34, Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let today be anxious for itself.===JACK:  Through the years I have learned many Bible verses...as have you.  What we need to be reminded of is...these verses continue to have relevance in our daily living.  Thanx.  Life at the university, for you, was more than just playing basketball.===GEORGE:  I have a sanguine temperament. That means that I like to be involved in many things, sometimes to my detriment. Sometimes I got over committed and had to scramble very hard.===JACK:  I think that the temperament you describe, instead of being sanguine, might better be described by Lou Holtz as a person  who tends to promise more than can be delivered.  He suggests that people deliver more than they promise.  I'm sure that you did that as an athlete and as a businessman.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Definitely count your blessings every day!===JACK:  I began counting mine as soon as I turned on the computer and read the first two responses to Winning Words.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I know I have been blessed to have John Freed in my life!!===JACK:  Yes, as I think back, God has arranged for many interactions in our lives.





No comments: