Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/17/18
“The six W’s: Work Will Win When Wishing Won’t.”  (Todd Blackledge)  Alliterations can be fun.  Can you say: “Peter Piper picked etc?” or, “She sells sea shells etc?”  In the Wizard of Oz, Scarecrow calls the Tin Man, “You clinking, clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk.”  (I had to look up caliginous).  Today’s six W’s give a humorous message about the importance of getting off your duff and doing that which needs doing…right now!    ;-)  Jack

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  My friend Terry always said the 6 p’s...
Proper prior planning prevents poor performance  Proper prior planning prevents poor performance
===JACK:  That's one worth saving.  Thanks

FROM RRC:  I am using this, as part of a reflection tomorrow!===JACK:  Great!  Here's a response I received today that might fit with your reflection..."Proper prior planning prevents poor performance "

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  so what does caliginous  mean?  my spell check said it isn't even a word:):):)===JACK:  ca·lig·i·nous  kəˈlijənəs - adjective archaic  misty, dim; obscure, dark.  (Some people are like that)

FROM PG:  I'm enjoying your words every morning!  Thanks Jack.===JACK:  I have to remind myself, as I write, of the miracle of the internet that allows me to be in touch with so many old friends and also "faceless people" who are on the list by word of mouth.  I call all readers, "My Congregation Without Walls."

GOPHER LYNN:  This message made me laugh – I like it of course!===JACK:  It might be worth posting at work (Nah!)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I too like alliteration and have often used it in my writing , or a program  title, or catchy  poster promotion.  Love both the 6 W's and the 6 P's in today's blog, and  copied them
 for a children's sermon at church. My S.S. class will appreciate them too! Thanks!  Now I'd better get off MY duff and get busy. Taking Best Baked Beans and Caramel Apple Cookies to my family potluck this evening! -)===JACK:  It may not be alliteration, but someone in your family is bound to say when your B-B-B are passed around..."Beans, beans the magical fruit..."  It would happen at our house.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good one! Blackledge must have been a farmer.===JACK:  Todd's name should be familiar to you...Penn State quarterback who led his team to a national championship and went on the the pros and to a broadcasting career.  He's now a high school basketball coach..  ===GEORGE:  Your last sentence confirms to me that he is a humble man. Maybe he is a Christian? ===JACK:  While humility (and serving others) can be characteristic of Christians, persons of other religions can do that, as well.  I like what C.S. Lewis said about us as Christians: "We should be as "little Christs" to others.  Yes, humility is one of those "little Christ" things.






No comments: