Monday, July 16, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/16/18
“Remember, we all stumble, every one of us.  That’s why it’s a comfort to go hand in hand.”  (Emily Kimbrough)  I was Googling around and saw a picture of two chimps holding hands.  What do you suppose I saw?  A sign of affection?  An act of helping?  When you see two humans holding hands, what do you see?  Affection, a desire to help, two becoming one?  Idioms say a lot.  Shoulder to shoulder, arm in arm, eye to eye.  I see a need for more of that.   ;-)  Jack

FROM F.L.:  i have no one to hold my hand, and things couldn’t be much worse, literally===JACK:  The Beatles song comes to mind..."I wanna hold your hand."  I'm sure that's the feeling of other Winning Words readers, too.  Not being able to do by way of the internet, I can ask my friends to join me in praying on your behalf.  A pastor once asked someone in a problem situation, "Can I pray for you."  The person responded, "It can't hurt."  No it can't, but it certainly can help.  Another song..."His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches (you)"===FL:  ty. ♥️

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  our synod's Tanzanian ministry (to dozens of churches there) is called Bega Kwa Bega;  its Swahili for "shoulder to shoulder"  .  blessings on your day, Jack.    i also know of a true story of two WW II vets who had each lost an arm in the war.  one lost the left arm and one right arm.  .  but together they figured out how to sit and play the piano together.  it was a moving sight to see and hear them play.===JACK:  Two great stories!  "Bega Kwa Bega"--I'll have to try and remember that.  And...I wonder if Google can find those piano players for me?  I want to see and hear them.  (Loooong pause)  No luck!  But, I have the image in my mind.===SP:  Jack,  google  St. Paul Area Synod Bega Kwa Bega and you will get lots of info about this ministry.  every church in our synod has a "sister church" somewhere in southern Tanzania.  our village is called Tungamalenga and we as a congregation have been over there at least 15 times.  we have a group there right now.  and we have had them over here 3 times.  we built a clinic in this small village and staffed it with a medical student named Barnabas.  a really find Christian fellow.    the government now wants to use this clinic as a model for other villages.  and because the country is so poor,  the govt. is delighted to have such a Lutheran presence.  also, in Iringa,  40 kilometers from our village, the entire synod over 20 years has built Tumani (Swahili word for HOPE) University.  it started with 14 students and now has well over 1200 students.  and many of our synod churches pay for the student's tuition.   Kristin Levorson, from our church, has been over there all 15 times (or more), has learned Swahili, knows all the area pastors and bishops,  and has done a fab job in "shepherding" this ministry.   right now, she is finding funding to put 3 new wells for water for 3 area villages.  its quite a story.   also,  all i recall about the two WW II vets  was that they were in a home of some kind in New Jersey.  if i find that article in one of my files, i will send it to you.  take care,  plh      p.s. sometime i will tell you about the Illulah Health Care Center about 100 kil. east of Iringa.  we joked 30 years ago about building the Mayo Clinic of Tanzania and you know what?  by the grace of God it has become that!  last time i looked it had 22 buildings,  many Docs, and was serving at least a 3 or 4 hundred mile radius of Tanzania.  Randy Hurley, a cardiologist from our church,  goes over twice a year on his own dime and spends two or three weeks there at a time.  a remarkable fellow who just literally fell in love with the people of Tanzania.  all these stories give me hope for the future of our world.===JACK:  I remember visiting your church once when a pastor from Tanzania was present and being honored by your congregation.  Impressive work being done!...I still want to see and hear those piano players.

FROM DB:  Thank you. Slowly, things are getting better.  I am met with  challenges, plus I am embarking on new territory - its the only way that I can move forward. It requires a lot of courage, but prayer certainly helps open doors and make things better.===JACK:  Challenges are called challenges, because they require a desire to change things, to move ahead.  You're right!  Courage and prayer do open doors.  Courage and prayer are also needed to walk through the open doors.  May God bless you.

FROM LBP:  The HS youth came back from the national gathering a week back and shared with the Church their hand in hand symbol. They clasped hands with fingers interlocked to show that my neighbors strength covers my weakness and my strength covers my neighbors weakness. A Kinda cool thought.===JACK:  My sister's granddaughter was a counsellor at that same youth convention ...over 30,000 participants.  The Church is in in good hands when the hands  of our young people are locked together with the Hand of God.===LBP:  Science at this age is about capturing the curiosity of a child to help them observe things around them, to try things, and to learn from what happens. It's developing logical thinking, careful observation, and patience. As a rule follower, I get antsy to have a portion of the curriculum untouched, though I know that my son and I can talk about the life cycle of a butterfly or the water cycle of evaporation to rain. So really it's more about skills. Though I'm working on my patience and observation skills to see when there really are skills missed, or maybe they are just being taught in a different way than I saw them in my daughter's class.===JACK:  Lucky is the child who learns good stuff at home, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There is definitely a need for more hand-holding.===JACK:  ...and hand-folding, too!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I needed someone to "hold my hand" in comfort, after listening to the Trump-Putin summit in Finland this morning! AGHHHH!  Our AB Women's symbol for the theme TOUCH, was 4 hands and forearms,  with divers ethnic coloring  grasping one another in a "square" which was very effective. There is a lot of world-wide clasping of hands to help, (as your blog emphasized...good information from the Lutherans!) which is comfort and inspiration!  My Lutheran niece, who is a pastor in Texas had young people at the recent convention. A GREAT experience for them!!  AB Baptists have extensive work in Congo, Sudan, Thailand, Cost Rica, etc.===JACK:  When will there be in America less SELF and more WE?  I recall the WE, and I miss it.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Definitely a desire to help and to be friends!===JACK:  Perhaps you've heard the saying: "To have a friend, be a friend!

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme there is an anecdote I've used in some of my seminars that you might appreciate:  This married couple is walking in their neighborhood holding hands & a nearby neighbor is so impressed that he runs up to tell them excitingly: "WOW",you've been married for over 55 years & you are still walking hand in hand,how romantic!  The husband responds FORGET romantic,the only reason I hold her hand when we're walking is that anytime I let go, she runs off  to go shopping.  Just sharing...









No comments: