Friday, March 09, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/9/18
“If you’re not greedy, you will go far.  You will live in happiness too…like the oompa…loompa…doompety do.”  (Oompa Loompa song)  Willie Wonka fans are familiar with the Oompa Loompa.  I like their song, especially that part about not being greedy.  Greed is on the list of the 7 Deadly Sins, on a par with lust and sloth.  One of the problems with greed is - it doesn’t lead to happiness.  Do you want to be happy?  Be like the Oompa Loompa!    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:  Greedy... that was Veruca Salt. Each kid had a different fault that they sang about. Greed, gluttony, sloth, ... a catchy tune in the 70s movie ====JACK:  People  of a "certain age" grew up with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory..  It seems like oompa loompa can give more advice in future WWs.====LBP:  Seems like a lot of good learning in that story. Some day I’ll actually read the book and see how Gene Wilder and Johny  Depp measure up to the original vision.====JACK:  Maybe you and your children can read it together.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  oompa loompa! I’m Happy ;-)====JACK:  My mind smiles when I say, "Oompa Loompa!"

FROM BEECEE:  I loved that book!!! When I was in 5th grade the teacher read it to us. I remember her saying we were too old to be read to, but for whatever reason she decided to read part of it to us every day, and we all sat excitedly in our seats while she did. She’d say (not in a particularly nice way) “I can’t believe you big kids are sitting here letting me read to you.” (But it kept us quiet.) When I’d get home from school, I'd fill Mom in. One day when I came home she said she had a surprise for me. It was a hard covered copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!  (Of course I still have it!) I think that first read/my imagination was much better (more exciting) than the two movies that have come out since then. Now I can’t help but picture the actors and Oompa Loompas like they were in the movies, in my head.====JACK:  My education is lacking...I never read the book, and I never saw the movies.

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  LOL – this one made me laugh ====JACK:  I laughed, too, when I came across it, when I saw the characters and when I wrote about it.  HAHAHAHA

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  👍

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I thought Gene Wilder was superior in his part, in that great movie. It has a message for all ages!  As I quoted Jim Carrey (actor) once before,"I wish everyone could experience being able to buy everything   they ever wished for, and do everything they ever dreamed of, to realize that is not the answer to happiness,,,"  (He might have said "fulfillment"; can't remember exactly) but you get the idea, greed doesn't bring contentment in life. Having enough to "get by", enjoy some pleasures, and be able to share some wealth, does help, as we all do know. The Oompa Loompas are on the right track ! :-) Doompety Do!====JACK:  Gene Wilder, with blue eyes, his frizzy hair and his worried-looking face, was often recognized by children..."There's Willie Wonka!"  Even though Gilda Radner was his 3rd wife, I thought that they were the perfect comic pair, like Burns and Allen and Fibber McGee and Molly.




No comments: