Monday, February 05, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 2/5/18
“An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.”  (Mahatma Gandhi)  I met someone recently and discovered that we have a mutual friend.  She referred to him as a mahatma.  I recall Gandhi being referred to as, Mahatma, but never checked the definition.  Now, I’m curious.  He’s someone highly regarded, a holy person, a sage.  If you’re into Star Wars, you might see Yoda as a mahatma.  I’m glad that I personally know one.    ;-)  Jack

FROM JS:  You are a mahatma.  At least, in my eyes.====JACK:  Usually eulogies (good words) are spoken after someone dies.  Thank you.  It's said that everyone can be an example to others...a good example or a bad one.  Your life, your enthusiasm, your integrity and your faith...They've been noticed and appreciated. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Mahatma Gandhi was a fascinating person, and certainly regarded as sage nd much respected.  You're fortunate if you have one or two Mahatmas in your life's journey. My son John did a superb job of officiating at the funeral of one of his best friends and fellow coaches this A.M., even though he is not a pastor or theologian. Mixing the Christian message and eulogy with funny stories; It was an upbeat service, and the room had SRO! (As the old theatre signs used to say, when all the seats were taken!)  I know you are considered  a Mahatma to many, and it's nice to hear that, before your funeral takes place!!  God bless!====JACK:  I'm sure that John's funeral message was well-received, because it was from the heart.  The "heart" that is his was nurtured by his father and his mother.  Take that as a truism and compliment.  I'm proud of my children, too, for how they have been influenced by the home in which they were raised.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  i think his real name was Mohandas Gandhi and mahatma is something like "honored one"  or guru or sage, as you suggested.  not sure tho.  let me know if you find out more..====JACK:  Someone asked me today if Gandhi had a first name.  You're correct is writing that it was Mohandas.  Incidentally, Mohandas means "Son of Mohana" (a Hindu God),  so...Son of God.  Mahatma is simply a sign of respect for a wise person.

No comments: