Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 2/20/18
“That’s who you really like…the people you can think out loud in front of.”  (John Green)  I read some definitions of “Friend.”  The one I like best is: “The one who knows all about you and likes you just the same.”  Obviously, God comes to mind, but I’m thinking of that person you can sit down with and express innermost feelings…and then say, “Let me re-say that.”  And your friend will let it happen without being judgmental.  I have a few like that?  Do you?    ;-)  Jack 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  This made me remember again a saying of Christopher Hutchens, (of the Guardian, U.K._ "A melancholy lesson of advancing years is the realization that you can't make old friends." Amen to that, and most of those "sitdown" friends are gone, including Husband and twin sister...but do have one BFF remaining, and cherish that relationship. Lots of friends to share activities with, (blessings!) but real confidante's run deeper!  Thinking "friendly",====JACK:  The one-time head of CBS News was Fred Friendly.  I always wondered if he was a friendly guy.  BTW,  do you remember the song recorded by Willie Nelson...?
Old friends pitching pennies in the park
Playing croquet till it's dark old friends mhm old friends
Oh old friends swapping lies of life and loves
Pitching popcorn to the doves old friends mhm old friends
Old friends looking up to watch the birds
Holdin' arms to climb a curb old friends mhm old friends
Old friends Lord when all my work is done
Bless my life and grant me one old friend just one old friend
====OAKS:  No, but I like it. Amen to that!

FROM JT IN ST JOE: This Winning Words hit home as my best friend of over 50 years died suddenly two weeks ago.  We spent a lot of time together and shared much.  she was riding the stationery bike at the health club  (she was healthy)  had a stroke, fell off the bike, had a brain bleed and died the next day.  so sudden, I had just visited with her and planned to play cards with her and her husband the following evening.  710 people came to her funeral.  I was not the only one her life impacted.  I am still trying to think it is real.  I know her death changes my life more than if my sister died.  Hard to say but it is true.====JACK:  Thinking of the loss of your dear friend....Such a close friend can be as if God were at our side.  I believe that people can come into our lives as part of the will of God.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Yup! 😀😀====JACK:  ...and the church where they meet is called, St, Sunny's.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Old friends and new friends are priceless====JACK:  I remember our first reconnection after H.S. graduation.  It was at a class reunion at Short Hills in the lobby.  "The years go by, as quickly as a wink..."  Do you recall that song?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Yes, I have a few who stood by me in thick and thin.  One of my "friends" said to me, "I have more friends than you".  Yes, she did however, I have friends who love me no matter what happens.  I stood by her when her husband was admitted to a hospital with a mental breakdown.  Where were her other friends?!? ====JACK:  When times get tough, I'd celebrate the friends who are there to stand by me.  Life's too short to fret about the others, ====JUDY:  Yes, very true!!! Make new friends but keep the old: one is silver and the other ones gold.  Girls Scout Song.

No comments: