Monday, February 12, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 2/12/18
“We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.”  (Anna Sewell)  I never liked the word dumb to describe animals or people who are unable to speak.  Voice is only one way to communicate.  Tail-wagging, smiling, growls, scowls, whimpering and tears express feelings, too.  A list of words that should be banned is published yearly.  I nominate the word, dumb.    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  This subject of “words” fascinates me. I think George Carlin brought the subject into mainstream thinking.  I’m gravitating towards making personal decisions over promoting banning. I see the example of the drive to ban the “N” word.  I don’t know anyone who uses this word in normal conversation. I don’t hear media personalities using this word in general conversations.  However, I do hear and see it being used in music and literature. How it’s used is interesting as a cultural study.  I think of this as s serious matter when concerned parents want to ban Tom Sawyer from school libraries.  Interesting topic and I do think people are largely “judged” by the words they chose to use.====JACK:  Words are words.  Banning them won't make them go away.  The use of words in context is part of education.  Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are not only novels, but a historical sociological tool, as well (given the right teacher).

FROM TRIHARDER:   Even a dog knows the difference between being kicked and being stumbled over.  (Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr)====JACK:  Some people are treated like dogs, and some dogs are treated like people.  When I was growing up our dog never once went to the vet.  Now, some people have pet medical insurance, and other people can't afford medical insurance for their children. Something's not right.====TH:  Yes, people will pay extreme amounts to provide care for their animals. I am not one of those people. 

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I just never like to refer to anyone or to anything as dumb. Period ====JACK:  In 7th grade, do you remember Dora C?  Even though she was pretty smart, we used to call her, Dumb Dora.  

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Mark's widow Lori brought her"Sweet Baby POO" puppy (Penelope Olivia Oaks) to lunch with us here yesterday, and she certainly could communicate, smothering with kisses when she was pleased with you, yelping when she wanted your attention, and pawing your leg, barking when she wanted out for a few minutes only( It was icy and frigid out!)  etc. She seemed to understand so much!  I'll never forget when our dog (growing up in Moline) had puppies, and one was still born. Roodles put her paw around that baby, and tears rolled down her furry cheek! I've never seen anything like that before or since,  We were dumbstruck!  There's a lot we don't understand in regard to animals !====JACK:  I've never heard of "dog tears" before, but if you saw them, I believe that they exist.  I used throw a wad of paper on the floor and tell our dog (Tiger), "Put it in the garbage," and he'd pick it up and put it in the waste basket.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  i wonder if the word (found in places like the old King James version of the Bible) meant that there was a time when people truly thought speechless people were dumb or stupid??   i suspect so.  or was it like the word "suffer the little children to come unto me..."  which over time took on an entirely different meaning??    just curious....====JACK:  Most word searches go back to a German root, meaning: stupid.  I did see one pre-historical root: confusion, stupefaction.  Today, it has been enhanced to: dumbass.  ====PAUL:  that was a favorite word of David Letterman as i recall...

FROM DOWNRIVER JOHN:  Pastor Jack,  Thanks for all you do for all of us through Jack's Winning Words.  I hope this note finds you well and staying warm in this cold winter.  I couldn't help but send you this in response to your piece today.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6368142597042565120 
====JACK:  Thanks for the Jane Goodall video.  She's one of my favorite people.  Even the chimpanzees recognize and like her.  A perfect refutation of "dumb animals."  Have you seen any evidence of wildlife recognizing you?

FROM SHALOM JAN:  I'm beginning to want to nominate "fake" for reasons that don't need to be expressed====JACK:  I remember the term, fakir, referring to a Hindu aesthetic (strange person).  The one who continues to call out, "fake news," might now be called, the faker (strange person.

FROM DM IN LIV:  I couldn’t agree more!====JACK:  The dog is wagging his tail. 


FROM JE IN WLSD:  I agree Jack. Baxter, our cocker spaniel-poodle mix, is so expressive. To Rob’s chagrin, I taught Baxter to speak when he wanted something. So he barks – too much. I have to be more patient with him. He gives so much love and is such an important part of our family. He is the farthest from dumb ( agree this word should be banned) there is – he can give you all four paws – seriously, he can give you each of his back paws as well as the usual front paws when you command, “give me your paw.” Our Baxter wants to know which paw you want?====JACK:  When he gives me his hind leg I want to make sure he's only doing it to say "hello."====JE:  No worries if you’re inside. All bets are off if you’re outside. 

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  When we were growing up we used to celebrate 🎉 Lincoln s birthday on this date in illinois! It all seems like so long ago!====JACK:  .,,and Washington's birthday on the 22nd, and Armistice Day on 11/11 at 11 am.  "Stand and face the flag!"

FROM TARMART REV:  Even the so-called "dumb" have God on their side. if they accept His help--  "And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say" (Exodus 4:11-12 King James Version).====JACK:  God even made Balaam's "dumbass" to speak.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I agree!!!! Wag wag;-)====JACK:  Is that you or the dog?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  no words should be banned. many words have more than one meaning. but i agree w/your sentiments...====JACK:  Book banning (and burning) is dangerous, too.  Education is the process of using words properly.

FROM KF:  Dogs are amazingly honest and clear about what they are feeling; lack of words does not hinder expressing their feelings. Have you ever been so happy you wished you had a tail so you could wag it? : )   I have been known to substitute jumping up and down since I can't "wag".........====JACK:  
I could wash away sadness  Beatin’ hearts with the gladness  Wagglin’ all the same
And my friends would be laughin’  While my bum was busy dancin’  If I only had a tail!

No comments: