Thursday, February 01, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 2/1/18
“Ponce de Leon said, when he discovered the Fountain of Youth, ‘Where are the paper cups?’”  (Red Buttons)  Even though historians say that Ponce’s search for the Fountain of Youth is a myth, others continue to look for ways to end the aging process.  Some Silicon Valley billionaires are spending big money trying to solve “the problem of death.”  Ecclesiastes has it right.  “There’s a time to live and a time to die.”  Eternal Life is a spiritual thing.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  That's just it.    The problem of death has been solved.====JACK:  I recall the biblical "three score years and ten...or four score years," as being the norm for a lifespan.  I also remember being told that Methusalah, at 969 years old, was the oldest known person in the world.  With time, lifespans seem to change, but the end remains the same...death.====JOHN:  If they could cure any and every disease, there would still be one insurmountable problem...the human being.    We would be still liable to death at the hands of the sinfullness of our own species.    Original Sin rears its ugly head once again.====JACK:  So, O.S. is the cause of death?====JOHN:  If we solve all other problems related to death....it is still there....====JACK:  Why do we tend to look upon death as a negative?  Didn't Bach write, Come, Sweet Death?====JOHN:  There are times at which I can totally relate to that.   I have known people at points in their life who longed for death.    My Dad was one.====JACK:  If we truly believe in the blessings of "Heaven," death loses its sting.
Come, sweet death, come, blessed rest!  Come lead me to peace  because I am weary of the world,
O come! I wait for you,  come soon and lead me,  close my eyes.  Come, blessed rest!


FROM KS:  I ended up talking to a retired guy at a coffee shop last week in Novi who said that a drug company he is associated with has discovered how to reverse the aging process and that it will be available in a few years.  Sounds unbelievable!  I like your quote and statement below.  Father Steve at “Spirit of Grace” said that in the Episcopal teachings it was taught to always pray for a death that you had time to be prepared for.  Thanks and have a blessed day.====JACK:  If that invention doesn't work, there's always cryogenic.  I understand that baseball legend Ted William's head has been frozen until such time as thawing works.  I think of the song, "I ain't got no body."  ====KS:  That’s funny !!!  I see that they are growing new ears.  Can’t replace your spirit….just heal it? ====JACK:  Let's see them try to grow a soul.

FROM INDY GENIE:  When reading the blog, I noticed that you said something about growing a soul. Reminded me of a “soul story” I experienced with 4 and 5 year olds in school last spring.
When looking at a model of the skeletal system, we were identifying the bones, ie. clavicle, skull etc. Zoe listened and then said , “But where  is the soul?” Finley responded, “Zoe , the soul’s not a bone.” Benjamin said, “Then what is the soul?” Zoe answered, “it’s what makes the heart work.”  I have the best job in the world.====JACK:  Who says theologians have to be older people with a string of initials after their name?  Your's is the best response of the day.====GENIE: btw...even though Zoe really gets the credit for the best response of the day, I like that it was the best response of the day...hee hee! :)

FROM TARMART REV:  "....entering myself into this time to physically die and spiritually live again!, noting the best is yet to come" 0;-)====JACK:  Knowing and believing this has allowed you to preach the many funeral sermons that you've been asked to do.====REV:  Had my share, definitely. . . 6 since January 3rd

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Red Buttons was one of my favorites. I still watch him on the Dean Martin Roasts.====JACK:  Another from Red Buttons...Donald Trump’s mother, who said, "Donnie! Stop playing Monopoly and get in that barber’s chair! "  More...I had a dream last night that your mom was living in an apartment next to ours.  I ‘saw” her face exactly as I remember it.  In the dream, she was taking care of you, because you were very sick.  Rob was there in the dream, too.  It all ended before I found out whether or not you made it.====RJP:  Good Trump joke! Funny one....well I made it so far!!!!!!!!  I guess you too are a dreamer!!!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  It is an 😉 age in which we live when so many people live to be over one hundred 💯 years of age👏👏👏====JACK:  You're getting close.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'd LOVE to lay my hands on one of those! I'll bet they're for sale somewhere...!====JACK:  You might want to follow up on this ad..."Water From the actual Fountain of Youth located in historic St. Augustine, Florida.     Bubbling up from the Floridan aquifer for millennia, this spring water supported the Timucua people of Seloy – a Native American village that thrived on these grounds for over three thousand years. This unique water quenched Ponce de Leon’s thirst in his quest for eternal life, and this water was instrumental in the 1565 decision by Pedro Menéndez to establish the First Colony of St. Augustine here on the Park grounds.  We sell the bottle empty as a keepsake from the Park.  ​We then fill it with Fountain of Youth Spring water for FREE!"  ====OAKS:  WHOOPEE!  I wonder how busy they are?! :-(====JACK:  Ponce died in Cuba in 1521 and is buried in San Juan, Puerto Rico.====OAKS:  Yep ...the ratio of death to people is One:one...no escaping that! Pablo Picasso says, "One starts to get young at 60, and then it's too late..."! :-)  But I agree with the quote by poet Samuel Ullman "Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Amen to that!  Hopefully  our souls benefit from "The Fountain of Youth"!  Cheers!====JACK:  A friend of mine sells anti-wrinkle cream, but you probably don't need any.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  i just forwarded this is a fellow who is real "shaky" in his faith.  it may help some...====JACK:  Shaky people need some support, a cane, a walker, or someone like you.

FROM SIGMUND FREUD:  The goal of all life is death.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  "a time for every purpose under heaven"...song of the day!  i love red buttons.  funny man.====JACK:  I was re-reading some of Red's jokes.  It's interesting how humor changes with the passing of time.



No comments: