Thursday, November 30, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 11/30/17
“In life you have three choices…Give up…Give in…of Give it your all.”  (Charleston Parker)  In checking him out, I’ve learned that Parker is a self-taught theologian who, through personal study, has discovered many truths about God.  Since theology is an “imperfect science,” C.P.’s thoughts are worth considering.  Many of us are searching to “know” the unknowable…like on a treasure hunt.  So, we look for clues…maybe in Barth, Bonhoeffer or even Parker.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  and even in Christ Himself! I'll have to "Google" Charleston Parker and read of his discoveries.====JACK:  E.B. White wrote a book, "One Man's Meat Is Another Man's Poison."  I guess that goes for theological opinions, too.

FOME MIKE:  The latest National Geographic has an extensive article about archeologists trying to scientifically prove site of Jesus tomb.  And that he truly walked around Jerusalem.  I haven't read entire article,but plan to.  Thought it would be something you would enjoy.====JACK:  Yes, I saw that headline, but didn't follow up.  I suspect that in the end it will come to a choice: either you believe it, or you don't.  When it comes to "proving" God, the search will always end with a person's faith.  As the man once cried out to Jesus: "I believe, help my unbelief."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  All or nothing!  Maybe I’ll look him up!  Sounds interesting! ====JACK:  I'll stick with Barth and Bonhoeffer....and my seminary profs.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Inspiring as ever.  Thanks!====JACK:  When our children were small they were always excited when I planned a Treasure Hunt for them...hiding things around the house and giving them clues.  Those were the days!====BB:  I had no idea you did this for the gang.  Did you know that I did the same when visiting the cabin I the UP?  We hid things under swings, in the tree stump where the toad lived etc.  We wrote little poems/rhymes  to get them from place to place.
One year the whole operation got foiled as the poem notes to go from one place to another were with the “treasure”.  That year, there was a plastic film canister with dimes that had the paper and it was 10 paces toward the lake from the neighbors blue bike.  Only the kid moved the bike so the whole thing got derailed.  Tim & I knew where it was and dug a bunch but never found those dimes.  Imagine someone else did and, if it was a little one, they were elated!====JACK:  Did you ever see the Twilight Zone episode, "Kick the Can?"  (You can YouTube it)  Maybe when you have a gathering of adults, you can have a Treasure Hunt and relive the good old days.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Love those choices!====JACK:  You are a "GIVE IT YOUR ALL!" type of person.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As Jonathon Swift said, "I hope you live every day of your life!" I think we're dancing as fast as we can, as old age creeps up...Hopefully it takes one look at us, and backs away! :-)  Today's discussion made me think of your old professors saying, "You can't unscrew the inscrutable". So true, in regard to our many questions, but that's where faith comes in, isn't it ? I've had enough "miracles" to merit the adventure! Today was a full one!====JACK:  If not miracles, what Bible words inspire you the most? 

No comments: