Thursday, November 02, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 11/2/17
“Everyone has a story.  Every story matters.”  (Nicole Wedemeyer Miller)  Have you ever listened to StoryCorps on NPR?  Each episode is a simple, unscripted conversation between two people, exploring what’s important in life…love, loss, family, friendship.  Sometimes I find myself blinking back tears as I’m reminded of the things that matter most…personal stories.  I’m convinced that this world would be better off, if we could learn more about each other.    ;-)  Jack

FROM SF:  Mr. Rogers carried in his wallet a quote from a social worker that says “Frankly, there isn't someone you couldn't learn to love if you listen to their story."====JACK:  I wonder if that advice still holds true today?  Maybe in this cyber-world we know too much about people.  NAH!  I seem to remember a saying...God Knows Me and Still Loves Me.====SF:  Love it.

FROM RVB:  Ooooh so true...Thanks for sharing your stories!====JACK:  As I grow older, each day provides new stories...like what happened at Sunny's yesterday.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  There is a school of thought that the best way human beings can communicate with each other is through stories. The older I get, the more I believe this is true.
 In ancient times, a coveted position in the tribe was the person who who told the history of that tribe through stories.  Alex Haley, in ROOTS, brought this fact to life when he wrote how important that role was in his ancestral tribe.  I love stories!====JACK:  Many rabbis are great story tellers.  Rabbi Syme was a perfect example.  When he gave a eulogy. I almost wished I was in the casket.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Amen! I had a great discussion with someone on social media yesterday about kneeling… instead of yelling at each other, we simply listened to each other. It was a heart warming experience to talk and realize we agree way more than we disagree… if we take the time to listen!  Thanks for your winning words… they are… WINNING!====JACK:  "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."  (Vince Lombardi)  Sometimes you win, "ugly."  BTW, I thought that USA was a place where citizens are free to protest...whether other like it, or not.====DR J:  Right on… that’s what I said… maybe taking a knee is the very best image of patriotism in action… showing how much you love your country … so much so that you’d take a knee to show that we are better than our current beliefs and actions. I believe protest is the RIGHT that our soldiers fought for… the RIGHT and FREEDOM to protest.====JACK:  Some people need to take a refresher course in American Values...or perhaps "refresher" is an adjective that does not apply.

FROM TARMART REV:  I've sure enjoyed knowing some of yours!!====JACK:  Mine are nothing, compared to yours.  I've never sung the National Anthem before a car race...or sat in the Target coffee shop eating popcorn.====REV:  ...we’re always looking beyond ourselves toward other’s accomplishments . . . I will never have the privilege of confirming as many young persons faith as you have over the years. I still remember looking at the number of classes pictured on Holy Spirit’s wall.   ====JACK:  Do the AG's believe that each person has a crown reserved for them in heaven...and that each time the believer does a good deed, a star (or jewel) is added to that crown?
You probably know (and have sung) this song....
"I am thinking today of that beautiful land  I shall reach when the sun goeth down
When through wonderful grace by my Saviour I stand  Will there be any stars in my crown.
Will there be any stars, any stars in my crown  When at evening the sun goeth down
When I wake with the blest in those mansions of rest  Will there be any stars in my crown."
====REV:  It is my understanding when the Book of Life is opened and our names are found within, God will reward us as to our faithfulness in serving Him with what He has gifted us with, some with fewer outward gifting and others with more notable ones . . . " (Matthew 25:14-23).====JACK:  Does that mean that "works righteousness" works?====REV:  We’ll have to ask Him when we get there, hopefully I’ll be there at the gate to welcome every one . . . I’ve put my application in early!

FROM KITTY:  Agree!====JACK:  That's better than...disagree.  Thanks.

FROM MAGGIE:  Good morning, Jack. Always good to "hear" your words.====JACK:  It's interesting to ponder how "sending out Winning Words" relates to Longfellow's poem, "I shot an arrow into the air..."

FROM CL:  we need to learn to listen instead of thinking about what we are going to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!====JACK:  Hey, now you're getting personal.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Amen to that====JACK:  What's the background story to your mom's name, Tyra?====RS:  Not sure why my grandparents chose that name for her The only other one I know of is Tyra Banks, the model, but she pronounces it tira instead of teara.====JACK:  It’s a Scandinavian name have to do with a battle warrior…I think.  If so, it doesn’t fit the Tyra I knew and heard about.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Rabbi Syme must have been SOME Eulogizer, to almost make you wish you were the corpse in the coffin! High praise, indeed! :-) The NPR stories ARE very moving sometimes, I agree. Reader's digest also has stories of 100 words sent by readers which are well worth your time! We just had Brian "The Fox" Ellis, International Story-teller for our Senior Luncheon event, and he always holds us mesmerized: So fluent, interesting sound effects (like a BAM! to wake any dozers up!!), and diverse "voices". Story can be an art, and very effective.  We all love stories, and there are some hilarious "Marilyn" stories floating around Illinois, believe me!  I used to do a fun program "Memories from the Manse". Life in the parsonage is fodder for many a good tale! ====JACK:  My favorite "Marilyn" story is the one about you running out of gas while taking kids to school in the morning.  Do I have that right?====OAKS:  Yes, in my black lace baby doll p.j.'s, no slippers, no robe, no money....:-( Hilarious in retrospect. When the gas station man who befriended me showed up for church the next Sunday, Bill quipped, "Maybe we should send this in to the Evangelical committee as a way to get new members!" Bless his unflappable heart!! :-)

FROM FLYIN' CHUCK:  Sometimes I just can't blink them back, no matter how I try. ====JACK: I wonder if they've been able to program emotions into robots.  I hope not.

FROM KIM S-G:  Hi Jack...your daily quote today made me smile!  Dad LOVED to hear everyone’s story!  I had even written that in his obituary!  I don’t know if you had heard the news about Dad completing his baptismal journey...====JACK:  Your dad was one of the nicest persons I've known, and I have stories to back that up.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  If we learned more about people, their families, children, dreams, hopes and lives how hard it would be to hate them.  We need more listening and more love for each other.  You are definitely correct in pointing it out!====JACK:  "Another Judy" on the Winning Words list wanted to know how someone named, Judy, came to have "outhouse" attached to her name...so, I told her your story.====JUDY:  Glad you told her.  I hope she got a chuckle.  If she knows of an outhouses, ask her for pictures.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is what makes life so exciting In my olli classes I have Met a former Eastern flight attendant a woman whose son just left for Antarctica To study something a  couple who returned from the great  barrier reel where they say the corals Are white!====JACK:  It was interesting to read about the Bernard Osher Foundation which promotes Life Long Learning.  If I were in Tampa I'd take advantage of it, too.  I see that the University of Michigan has one....
Seven lecture series totaling 43 presentations, with average attendance over 250 people; more than 140 study groups on a wide variety of topics;



1 comment:

Maggie said...

Good morning, Jack. Always good to "hear" your words.