Monday, November 13, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 11/13/17
“There’s nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”  (Nelson Mandela)  My first parish was 3 churches…one is now an apartment building, one a museum and one sits in a farmer’s backyard (he bought it at an auction}.  The only thing remaining from those days is the cemetery…and that has changed with new graves.  The hymn writer got it right.  “Change and decay in all around I see.  O. Thou who changest not, abide with me.”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Does the museum contain Jack Freed Memorabilia?====JACK:  The pulpit and altar are still there.  …and so is the Moller organ that was ordered and installed when I was there.  Mary’s grandfather was the chairman of the building committee when the church was built.  The museum received a sizable endowment and has used it to put in an elevator, re-lead all of the windows, tuck-point all of the bricks, install new rest rooms and upgrade the heating system.  While I was there the “Norwegians” located their new church on the same block as we were located.  That was the beginning of the end.  I’m satisfied that the church building is still there, looking better than ever.  At least it’s not a vacant lot or somebody’s apartment building.  I’m at peace with “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”  I recently toured the museum with my son.  It's filled with memories.====JOHN:  That's a great story.  Glad I asked.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Amen

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How appropriate!  We took a drive on the back roads of The East side of Ohio.  Gary had an account in Minerva and he stayed down at the Star Motel for the 4-5 years he was down there.  We stayed with him a lot too.  We also made very good friends with Jerry and Sue who lived in Minerva and worked with Gary.  They have a 110 year old farmhouse and 32 acres of beautiful hilly farm land.  There land was also part of the Trail of Tears.   We stopped by to see the Star Motel, believing it would never be there....but it was!  Old and falling down, but it was still standing!  The Motel didn’t have phones or TVs.  Gary would call in a pay phone down the road!  It brought back so many memories!    But it was visiting with Sue and Jerry which was such s blessing.  We’ve talking but hadn’t seen them in over 20 years!  We were all thrilled to see them. Their son Jay runs the huge farm and lives in the big farm house.  Jerry and Sue  now live in a small home on the top of the hill overlooking them farm!  What a wonderful blessing!====JACK:  Yes, there really are times when "you can go home again."====JUDY: It was such a wonderful time!  Yes we can reminisce and revisit the old days!!

FROM INDY GENIE:  I was in "Our Town" in high school. I had 2 parts. "Lady in the audience" and "lady in the 2nd row of the cemetery"  We 'cemetarians' sang "Abide With Me".....I always liked that song...good harmonies :)====JACK: "It's a good funeral song."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Certainly our old home town Moline has changed A LOT since we grew up there! I see the big down town Methodist church still strands, but know nothing other than that! Is Tillberg's Lutheran church still active? I imagine it is...All the homes I lived in are still there, looking pretty good in their old age!  Our High School is now a nice apartment building!  Yes, it's good to realize that Jesus Christ is the Same, Today, Yesterday, and Forever! Otherwise, our lives bear many losses as the years fly by.====JACK:  The home I remember the most is now a parking lot.  The first home, on 26th Ave, seems so small.

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  Not grays lake?====JACK:  When I went back there for the church's 50th anniversary, Dog n Suds was still there, but the town had changed in other ways.  Even the church had changed, although there were a few familiar faces that I saw.  I went through the old parsonage and relived some memories. 


No comments: