Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 8/22/17
“Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart, and you’ll never walk alone.”  (Oscar Hammerstein II)  Which version of YNWA do you like the best?  The Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Elvis?  How about when Jerry Lewis sang it at the end of his Muscular Dystrophy telethon?  People with various “needs” are encouraged when someone says:  “Don’t give up hope.  You’ll never walk alone, because God is always with you, and I’m with you, too.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Thinking of you, especially this morning . . . ====JACK:  Have you ever sung "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a solo? ====REV:  Only in the shower and while alone, of course!! 

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Why choose?====JACK:  The Bible commands..."Choose this day!!!"

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I've sung this song many times when giving a program, it is inspirational, and very melodic.  I often have a running conversation with God, as I toodle about my business, alone; Often to say thanks for a small blessing, and sometimes a large one! :-) Think it makes my day go smoother...getting much needed rain here, which canceled the golf league, so have the gift of extra time today! Yes, we never walk alone, and we can help some who need "someone with skin on" in their time of need. (That expression is an inside family bit of levity: When daughter  Sarah was 3, she called me in the night 3X during a bad thunder storm, when I assured her that Jesus was watching over her, she wasn't alone, the rain would help flowers grow,etc. etc. and the last time, she said, "I know that, but I kinda need someone with skin on!" :-) Needless to say, I stayed with her! ====JACK:  Great story!  I've got a Winning Words quote that's percolating... “I’m jus’ pain covered with skin.”  (John Steinbeck).  I may use it sometime this week. 

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We loved to watch some of his Labor Day program when we weren't traveling.  And his old movies were hilarious to us.  He will be missed!  This version because it mentions hope!====JACK:  Hold - On - Pain - Ends.

FROM MV:  Was that song from Carousel? I loved the song and the musical.====JACK:  Yep!  Written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.  The number of great songs that they wrote in unbelievable!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I love that song!====JACK:  It certainly fits with identifying with the MD kids.

FROM SA IN KENT:  You are an extraordinary man, Uncle Jack. My children know you. They aren't so certain about other cousins, or aunts and uncles on my mothers' side, and extended family and friends in the local area. But when I mention 'Uncle Jack', they perk up and listen; they know you as a friend, the best kind of friend. They all have been thinking of you these past weeks and lifting you up in prayer in their own way. And the best thing is that, I can say, 'What would uncle Jack say?' when they are thinking about doing something, and it works! Haha! They pause and consider that voice; that laugh. I think I'll get some ice cream today. ;)====JACK:  I've got so many "Anderson stories!"  I could write a book.  I do follow your family on Facebook, although I'm not a post-er boy.

FROM DC IN KS:  We’re with you, Jack!====JACK:  Do you remember this song...
How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,  Stepping in the light, stepping in the light,
How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,  Led in paths of light.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I would pick Fred Waring!  How old am I!!!====JACK:  He died about 40 years ago.  Mary and I saw him and The Pennsylvanians in Wausau, Wisconsin, many years ago.  I was surprised to see how small the choral group was.====MARLYS:  I liked everything he did.  I love his arrangements to sing too.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  My high school choir version has always been my fave.====JACK:  It's always good when you can connect something up with life.  In Homiletics I was taught: "Take the Biblical text and connect it up with life." 

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  "It’s better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction."  (A chalkboard quote in a gas station)

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i like the movie version when a very young shirley jones sings it.  every christmas mark gives me a calendar and inside are surprise tickets to a show or concert taped to a particular date.  we saw carousel on stage two years ago.  it was fantastic!  i have known this song since i was a little girl.  the "lillstrom family singers" sang it in four part harmony.  our high school choir sang it at the funeral of a classmate.  i sing it when i need a little hope in my heart.  life is a musical.====JACK:  Rogers and Hammerstein were a fantastic team...so many great songs, but when I think of the Lillstroms, I remember being introduced to, "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown," in your Lake St living room.

No comments: