Monday, August 14, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 8/14/17
“All I do is accept people as they are.”  (Joan Rivers)  Who was the star of the comic strip, The Thimble Theater?  You’re right if you said it was Poopdeck Pappy’s son, Popeye!  Popeye had a sense of self-worth:  I like that in a person.  “I yam who I yam!”  Joan R probably liked him, too.  He had no pretentions.  He was a person of values, seeking to protect the good and to defeat the evil.  A tee-shirt reads: WYSIWYG!  “What You See Is What You Get.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  This is quickly becoming a country where we either stand up and be counted or find ourselves in a Nazi sewer.====JACK:  Each day presents a challenge...to stand up for what's right, or to be silent.  Some situations are more "high profile," bu the daily challenge is still there.====JOHN:  I agree.  And the need to stand up and be counted happens in a variety of venues.   In each case, it is not an easy thing to do.    I have been really nervous about it at many times.    I am not by nature a tough guy.   I have to dig down a bit before I can do what I know from the outset is right.   We have to live in Grace, knowing that we will will fail all too often.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  To each his own====JACK:  I thought that it would be easy to find the source abd context of "to each his own."  Not so!  I came up with Cicero as the source.  Interestingly, we have a restaurant in our area called, "It's a Matter of Taste."

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  This one made me smile====JACK:  "I am who I am,"  were words often quoted by your grandfather.

FROM BOB OUT WEST:  I have been intending to write and thank you for your ‘day after day’
presentations on Winning Words that encourage, enlighten, and bless me each day.  You must put an enormous  amount of time getting these ‘Words’ collected and together.  They are certainly not ‘off the cuff’ bits quickly assembled.  I don’t want another day to go by without acknowledging my gratitude for this use of your pulpit.====JACK:  As a matter of fact, I do search and search for what I think might be the right quote.  Composing the commentary is also challenging...sort of like preparing a sermon.  I purposing limit the length, knowing that today's reader will be more inclined to look at something concise...and something that catches the attention in the first few words.  Thanks for responding.

No comments: