Friday, June 09, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 6/9/17
“Hope means to keep living amid desperation and to keep humming in the darkness.”  (Henri J. M. Nouwen)  Nouwen was a Dutch Catholic priest whose books are printed in more than 30 languages and read by millions of people.  One of his themes is, “How can we make our religion relevant in our daily life?”  What’s the answer to global warming, terrorism, renewed racism?  Is it enough to keep humming, “My hope is built on nothing less…?”     ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:  I found this poem among some old HS papers while cleaning last week. It's Emily Dickinson it seems. And looks like we were encouraged to add a verse. Ha ha.  Anyhow I decided to put it on my board at work. A nice image of hope.
"Hope" is the thing with feathers--  That perches in the sand--
Sings the tune without the words--  And never stops--at all--
====JACK:  That poem was written in 1861 at the onset of the Civil War.  If ever was a time in need of hope, those were the days.

FROM ANNEM:  I enjoy reading Nouwen's works too.  Just met them last year.====JACK:  Do you ever hum?  I whistle more than hum.

No comments: